Talk

Advanced search

Ebf but bottle of formula before bed

(3 Posts)
snowchick1977 Fri 14-Oct-11 21:15:54

DD is 13 weeks......she was 4 weeks premature and still only weighs 11lb she was ebf until 10 weeks when we introduced a bottle of formula before bed, as i need her to take a bottle when i return to work, and wont be able to express when i return to work, so it as to be formula.

She feeds 2-3 hourly throughout the day but often hourly/clusterfeeds in the evening between 6-10pm

Now she is taking 5 ounces of formula at 6.30pm but then another 4 ounces at 8-9pm (after bath) prior to going to bed. She is sleeping well....wakes at 2 and 6 but my question is this seems like a hell of a lot of formula in a short space of time.

I thought it was supposed to digest less easily than my milk?

Is this ok and do you think this is just the equivalent of her cluster feeding in the evening on the breast.

tIA

MrsApplepants Fri 14-Oct-11 21:39:34

This sounds well and normal to me, if it seems a bit much it might be that she is going through a growth spurt, I wouldn't worry about it, she will drink what she needs and it could be the equivalent of a cluster feed. I also heard that even though formula is slower to digest, it sometimes doesn't make much difference to the time between feeds.

If it were me though, I would re jig things a bit so that she was having her bath at 6.30 with a feed at 7 and then put to bed. Then hopefully that would see her through until a feed at 9.30 - 10pm, which could mean she may sleep longer through the small hours. Just a suggestion!

Hope this helps x

downpipe Fri 14-Oct-11 22:01:37

Sounds fine to me, it is impossible to know how much breast milk she is taking in her other feeds but if she is drinking those amounts of formula she is probably hungry.My 2 don't always finish the bottle if they have had enough.I think it's good that she is getting used to a bottle now before you go back to work

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now