Talk

Advanced search

Bad habits?

(3 Posts)
pipoca Fri 14-Oct-11 12:46:47

Hi,

I'm bfing 5 month old DD. She's always gone 3 hours between feeds at night and at 12 weeks started the occasional 10pm to 6am strectch. When she didn't manage that it was 10pm, 3am and 6am. She got a cold at 4 months and started waking every 2 hrs, so 10, 1, 3, 5, 7. This went on for about 2 weeks and then she did 10 to 6am and I thought, hooray she's over the cold. Next day she's full of snot again and back to 2 hrly waking. Last few nights it's been 10, 1, 3, 5 and then she sleeps til 9am or 10. I assume cos she's so tired and she's had loads of milk all night so not hungry.
She doesn't always seem that hungry but she's quite upset when she wakes (think it's cos she can't breathe, she startles and wakes) so the easiest thing all round is a bf, and she drops off quite fast.
I don't have any choice but to go with the flow and feed each time she wakes but I sometimes worry it's going to create bad habits and she'll always wake this often. Am I being silly? Does the fact that she's gone thru the night quite a few times (even 10pm til8am once) mean she'll do it once she's better, or is this the slippery slope to reverse cycling and an all night feeder. (I worry cos DS is an early waker, so from 6am I have him to contend with and I'm struggling at the mo).

tiktok Fri 14-Oct-11 14:23:36

Why would responding to a tiny baby's obvious needs for milk, company, comfort and distress (imagine how it feels to wake and not be able to breathe....) be a 'bad habit'? You are getting her into brilliant habits - trust, love, confidence, as well as helping her get back to blissful sleep smile

Trust yourself to know what your baby needs - and remember that babies change and develop as they get older. If its all still an issue after a few more weeks, you can start to deal with it by waking her before 9 or 1o am....if you want to smile

pipoca Fri 14-Oct-11 14:34:17

Thanks tiktok, you're right and I do feed her whenever she wakes, just so tired atm and DS (3.7) being really hard work and waking thru the night too. Don't think I've had more than 2consecutive hrs in the last month and everything seems worrying right now. I'm sure she'll settle down once she'sover this cold (and until DS gives her another one wink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now