Talk

Advanced search

Weight gain, breastfed newborn

(12 Posts)
muffins Fri 14-Oct-11 10:30:49

Hi everyone

DD is 10 days old today. At 5 days had lost 6.5% of birthweight. Today has put on 20g making it now 6% loss. Is this ok? Midwife wasn't overly concerned really but says she'll need weighing again on Monday.
Are breastfed babies slower to regain their birth weight?
DD feeds regularly. I always offer both breasts and start next feed on the breast I finished last feed on. They feel 'empty' after feeding.
I have had a few probs at beginning of feed where she seems to get a bit 'drowned' and fusses. Breastfeeding counsellor says I could try expressing the really squirty let down bit and latching her on after. Would this help?

organiccarrotcake Fri 14-Oct-11 11:01:27

Yes it might. It's one thing often suggested to help a fast initial let down.

I'm not qualified to discuss weight gain but someone should be able to help with that.

muffins Fri 14-Oct-11 11:22:43

Thanks :-) I wasn't even worried about weight gain/how much milk she was getting until the midwife came!

organiccarrotcake Fri 14-Oct-11 11:25:31

smile

Let us know what happens on Monday, and enjoy the weekend. Relax and feed!

tiktok Fri 14-Oct-11 14:27:26

All that sounds normal - the key thing is dd has stopped losing weight and is starting to gain. No need for concern - though nothing wrong with weighing on Monday, either.

The initial weight loss was well within normal anyway smile

muffins Fri 14-Oct-11 18:37:04

Thanks guys I feel more reassured now. It's just the way the midwife said it wasn't much weight gain for 5 days.
DD was also born via emergency section under GA and was extremely puffy looking at birth (more than DS). I too was somewhat inflated and have lost a stone since discharge, presumably fluid. Could this mean that her birthweight was not quite as accurate if that makes sense?
We were also readmitted this week for 2 days as I have some strange skin infection round wound and am having to take a truckload of antibiotics. DD has been a bit sicky these last two days, does anyone have experience of this whilst taking antibiotics?
I sound like a right moaner in this post! Thanks in advance

MigGril Sat 15-Oct-11 09:56:28

Was she weight staight after birth. I have read some new evidance that suggest if you've had fluids during labour that weighting straigh after birth will give an inflated weight as baby take's on more fluids to. I think they where suggesting doing the first weighting after 24hours to give a more acurate picture.

This is new stuff and I'm not an expret like tiktok just though you'd like to know as you asked the qestion.

muffins Sat 15-Oct-11 10:16:42

Thanks miggril....unfortunately I wasn't conscious and DP wasn't in the room so we have no idea when she was weighed!

MigGril Sat 15-Oct-11 11:27:33

I think the standard practice is still prity much straight away. The idea that they leave it 24 hours has only just been suggested. Probably something that woun't come in for years and some more reasearch first.

Fantail Sat 15-Oct-11 19:31:10

My DD lost around 8% I think and was a slow gainer, not reaching her birth weight again until she was almost 4 weeks old. She was weighed weekly, but at no stage did the mw give me any cause for concern as she was gaining, just not rapidly, had plenty of wet and dirty nappies and was alert. I did use to feed at every single peep though.

She is now a bonnie 7 month old.

SmugisaDrug Sat 15-Oct-11 20:39:51

My DD lost 10% and by 4 weeks was almost back at birth weight. The midwife signed me off then and said I was allowed to keep breastfeeding and no need for formula which I was pleased about. Your situation sounds fine - all the best with feeding!

muffins Tue 18-Oct-11 07:42:40

Just to update DD had put on a whopping 200g over the weekend and is nearly at birthweight now already. Thanks for all the support/replies.
After a hideous birth experience and a load of problems since it's such a relief that at least breastfeeding seems to be going right!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now