Talk

Advanced search

Every feed seems to run into the next one

(8 Posts)
FeastofBeans Thu 13-Oct-11 21:24:01

Hi all,
I received such good advice last time that here I am again (sorry!)

Latest 'problem' (although not that bad in the scheme of things) is that my 2wk-old DD takes so long over each feed that it's pretty much the next feed. I feel like I get very few breaks.

She does it in 3 stages, sort of like a starter main and pudding. She falls asleep after what can be 5 mins or 25 mins. We try everything to rouse her but she just seems knackered, but then 10 minutes later she's sucking her fingers/rooting/whimpering. It's really hard to judge or get into a routine and it means each feed can take 1.5 hours. I feel like there must be something major we're missing. I've told various midwives who haven't really offered a solution and just looked at me like I'm mad confused so is this normal?

I don't mind so much in the day but the nights are hard as we are constantly putting her to bed fast asleep only to lie there listening for her to rouse within 10 minutes and want another feed.

Any advice or just "this too will pass" would be great!

mawbroon Thu 13-Oct-11 22:13:45

How is her weight gain? Does she have plenty wet/dirty nappies?

Have you tried putting her on the other side when she starts to fall asleep?

This should keep her interested enough to get the milk to let down, thus getting more milk.

You can swap as many times as she remains interested in.

Also, she just wants to be close to you. She's teeny and needs the security of being cuddled in. A sling is great to keep baby close when you have things to do, and co-sleeping can work well for some at night time.

tiktok Thu 13-Oct-11 23:57:24

Maybe they dont offer a solution 'cos there's not really a problem to solve, Feast smile

The pattern you describe is normal in a young baby - but it does not last forever. Try this: not doing 'everything' to rouse her, just let her doze. What is wrong with being 2 weeks old and having a nap in the middle of dinner? Plenty of time to learn not to do this later smile

You don't need to impose a routine at this stage.

Just let her set the pace, and use various ideas to make sure you get sufficient rest as well (and in fact, not fighting any more to wake her, not being up and down like a yoyo trying to get her settled....once you stop doing that, things become less tiring, anyway).

Mampig Fri 14-Oct-11 08:54:21

I remember the same at 2 weeks! Honestly it will pass! Do what TikTok says- as long as she's gaining weight don't fight it as it just adds to the hard work. At this stage I was afraid to be separated from ds in case he needed fed. Dh would have taken him for a 10 min walk in the evening so I could get a small break. He usually came home sleeping and half hour later feed again. In the early days I nearly forgot that he was a baby - and not just a feeding machine lol smile

organiccarrotcake Fri 14-Oct-11 10:02:28

"This too will pass" smile

(Well you did say so smile )

But, really, it will. Shame your midwives aren't more supportive though. sad Trying to find ways to get through the nights without just waiting for her to wake might help. What are your sleeping arrangements?

Limelight Fri 14-Oct-11 11:04:06

Here's what you do:

(1) Purchase large numbers of books/DVD box sets/record lots on sky+
(2) Organise some sort of tea / biscuits supply line. Damn it, buy a flask!
(2) Sit on bum with unleashed norks and let your baby get on with it
(3) Repeat the following to yourself - 'I will not get this opportunity when crawling happens.'

Seriously, my biggest regret with DS1 is all the time I spent worrying about how long his feeds were. The hours of back to back rom-com I could have been watching!

Congrats by the way!

Limelight x

FeastofBeans Sat 15-Oct-11 14:53:25

Thank God! I'm just terrified I've been blessed with an abnormal baby and I fret about everything but have no frame of reference! So good to hear she's pretty normal and it spurs me to persevere. I've also been fretting that I'm not producing enough milk to satisfy her, or she'll end up obese from overfeeding sad My DH tells me not to be ridiculous and is planning how he will bring her up alone once I've worried myself into an early grave...

Thanks all smile

Mampig Sat 15-Oct-11 18:17:44

Just remember you can't over feed an ebf baby smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now