Talk

Advanced search

Boobs are in agony

(17 Posts)
Sargesaweyes Thu 13-Oct-11 21:05:12

Help!! I have stopped breast feeding and health visitor said to just stop and express a bit off if sore. I am in agony! Huge football boobs which really hurt sad. It is even painful to hold my son. Went to the doctors who told me to take anti biotics and put cabbage leaves in bra. Any advice would be appreciated.

onepieceofcremeegg Thu 13-Oct-11 21:07:19

Fill a bath with quite hot water. Lie on your front, boots dangling into the water. Massage gently and express a tiny bit by hand. Try your best to avoid expressing a lot or using a pump or you will just stimulate further supply as you probably know. I think paracetamol may help a tiny bit as well. Also a fairly tight fitting bra.

bumbums Thu 13-Oct-11 21:07:27

Hand express just enough to relieve the pressure. And as your no longer feeding you could take some ibuprofen.

Angel786 Thu 13-Oct-11 21:31:12

I agree with t'others. Hand express some (not lots), and hot shower / bath. Massaging them a bit helps. Have you stopped bf quite abruptly OP / tried cutting down feeds?

Sargesaweyes Thu 13-Oct-11 23:31:17

I just stopped. Basically had a melt down the other day and hv advised just stopping once I had made my mind up. I confused the whole production thing with expressing using electric pump as it was very sore to feed due to thrush. Basically did everything wrong and now this has happened. Thanks for the ideas. Will give them a try.

Angel786 Thu 13-Oct-11 23:35:10

Good luck! If it becomes really painful you can try stopping more gradually (cutting out a feed or two at a time) so your supply slows and might be less painful.

neverlookback Fri 14-Oct-11 11:51:45

oh you poor thing, its me off the other thread! me and you are in the same situation at exactly the same time, apart from i havent got thrush but a cracked nipple, mine are killing too and im still part feeding, im too scared to completely stop, im reading this to get some tips for when i do, so im not much use but sending big hugs (but not too tight! ouch!) and good luck you have not done everything wrong, you have done great, this whole bf thing is a minefield!! x

Sargesaweyes Fri 14-Oct-11 12:17:54

Thanks neverlookback, I hope your boobs are recovering. I think today mine are a tiny bit better. Still vile but better. It really has been hard and I just can't face breastfeeding anymore. Almost glad to get it over with rather than drag it out as bertie really does not settle on my breast. Prob because I'm tense due to pain. I would try again if I'm lucky enough to have another baby but has been making me miserable. Are your boobs an odd shape now? Mine look like I've got jacket potatoes under the skin! Bertie is happy with his bottle and am determined not 2 beat myself up with it. smile

organiccarrotcake Fri 14-Oct-11 12:21:11

"this whole bf thing is a minefield!!" it shouldn't be - women should be able to get good information by growing up with breastfeeding - but sadly we're not there yet. However, this is what this forum is here for smile

OP you've got some good advice here. I'm sorry that you've got to the end of your tether. How are you feeling about it?

Letting your supply down slowly is a good idea. Expressing off enough for comfort as many times a day as needed is fine Don't worry about expressing too much. If you're stopping when you're comfortable that's less than a feed so your milk will slowly slow down. Don't forget you can save the expressed milk and feed it to your baby so they get the benefits of your milk for a bit longer.

You may well need antibiotics unless you feel like you've got a fever/flu like symtoms which might indicate infected mastitis (GP would need to confirm this). Taking them without infection will just put you at risk of thrush to no benefit.

Paracetamol and ibuprofen is fine to take and your milk is safe to give to your baby (you can take both these while BFing). Here some info on these drugs and breastmilk:

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/Analgesia_and_Breastfeeding_March_2010.pdf

organiccarrotcake Fri 14-Oct-11 12:22:30

Sorry, you may well NOT need antibiotics that meant to say.

Sargesaweyes Fri 14-Oct-11 12:44:22

I agree organic with the bf culture problem. I did seek support and I did get great help at the beginning from bf support worker who came to the house. However this was at the start and after the first Few weeks she could only offer me phone advice as under staffed. I think my latch went wrong again and then babies thrush messed up feeding and my confidence was low so it just became very negative for me. I feel ok about it as I tried very hard and to be honest I just want to enjoy my time with bertie rather than look back and think how much pressure I put myself under.

Sargesaweyes Fri 14-Oct-11 12:45:13

Thanks for the tips and support smile

onepieceofcremeegg Fri 14-Oct-11 13:52:26

Hope you are soon feeling more comfortable Sarge. smile

Bertie - what an absolutely gorgeous name btw.

neverlookback Fri 14-Oct-11 13:58:26

when my boobs are full they are almost square yes they are hideous and when they are empty they are so soft and droopy and i think ill be able to sling them over my shoulders and use them as a scarf by xmas!!!

Sargesaweyes Fri 14-Oct-11 13:59:12

Thanks smile he is a gorgeous little man.

Sargesaweyes Fri 14-Oct-11 14:00:40

Maybe a boob scarf will be the next new thing smile

Sargesaweyes Sat 15-Oct-11 14:09:20

Just wanted to write and say that I stopped breast feeding completely on Wednesday. It has been so painful but today they feel tender but not anything like they were. Just wanted others going through the same to know it gets better- 2 days ago I was sobbing in pain and today I am snuggling with my son on my chest smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now