Talk

Advanced search

Biting ( with teeth)

(13 Posts)
nomoremagnolia Thu 13-Oct-11 19:49:47

DS (1yo) has just started biting with intent. He pushes the tip of my nipple to betwen his teeth, giggles and bites. It's ruining bfing for me as he seems to do it intentionally sad
He's just started nursery this week - could it be a reaction against that? And more importantly how do I stop him, I've tried saying a firm 'no' but he giggles all the more at getting a reaction from me. I don't want to stop bfing him.

PessimisticMissPiggy Thu 13-Oct-11 20:03:05

I'm having this problem with my DD, thankfully just gums at the moment. She tends to do it when she's bored or tired and getting satisfied. Clearly a different situation for you, but I had the same advice from a couple of friends that had suffered at various DC's ages.

Each on advised pulling them off and pressing a finger against their lips whilst saying NO very firmly. If they still giggle, put the boob away and for a few minutes and try again. Also to look for signs that it's going to happen, they have to unlatch to attach their teeth or gums.

One friend gave up after having two stitches I'm her nipple following her 8mo DD clamping down during a night feed and gave up immediately as she was too afraid to continue.

nomoremagnolia Thu 13-Oct-11 20:11:02

Oh dear sad DS did chomp a few times pre-teeth but only in an experimental way, not with any determination. Scared by your friend needing stitches though don't blame her for giving it up there and then. I'm getting nervous before each feed already.

LCRLCR Fri 14-Oct-11 09:27:56

DD started biting viciously with teeth at 12 months - it got to the point that she basically stopped feeding and boobies were for chewing only, so we stopped and she never tried to bf again so I think it was her way of self-weaning. It was sooner than I had planned to stop but I do think she was ready and we've never looked back.

oscalet Fri 14-Oct-11 13:00:14

It is horrid, I had a biter first time round and it really put me off. The third one tried it but I just stopped the feed each time (saying 'no') firmly and it did work after a few goes. I think the little blighter just enjoys your reaction, but it's impossible not to react when someone bites your nipple! Withholding the feed should send a clear message. Does it tend to happen at the end of the fed, when he's no longer really hungry and is just enjoying himself? I bet he doesn't do it when he's rally hungr. I doubt it's a reaction against nursery, much mor liekly it's good fun. Good luck!

bex2011 Sat 15-Oct-11 10:02:46

My DS has bitten me for the first time today and drawn blood (not two stitches worth though)! I'm really scared to try again. He is 6.5 months and I was hoping not to have to use formula but if this is going to become a regular thing, then I can't see any other option. Any advice?? TIA

bex2011 Sat 15-Oct-11 10:04:01

Oh and sorry op for highjacking your post!

PessimisticMissPiggy Sat 15-Oct-11 10:24:22

bex try the NO and push technique and look out for signs that he's finishing.do you have any nipple shields you can use until you've healed up?

bex2011 Sat 15-Oct-11 10:50:12

He is biting as soon as I put him on the breast, so at the moment not even starting to feed. I've offered him a bottle of expressed milk and he just chewed on the teat! I'll pluck up the courage to try again in a while.

nomoremagnolia Sat 15-Oct-11 11:53:24

Oh bex you poor thing. it's awful isn't it, kind of a personal rebuff from lo. I hope you can sort it out. DS has been still biting but I'm getting wise to him unlatching and pushing my nipple to the front of his mouth and whipping my boob away before he gets the chance to bite. Hasn't stopped him trying tho!
Has you DS started teething? I found with DS that everytime he got a new tooth through he had to adjust his latch to accomodate the new tooth, and each time this happened he was hurting me for a few days before he got used to the new tooth/latch. owever this wasn't biting as such, more like friction /rubbing from the new tooth. The other time we had trouble with bfing (DS got very fussy and kept nipping me rather then biting again) was just before I got my first period back. It happened again just before my second period came. <adds another symptom to the pmt list>

nomoremagnolia Sat 15-Oct-11 11:55:03

Just read that back - of course your DS has started teething or he wouldn't be biting with teeth! What I meant is is he actually cutting a tooth at the moment?

bex2011 Fri 21-Oct-11 15:31:38

Sorry to take so long to reply. Last Saturday DS finally fed for the first time in the day at about 3... with no biting! He has biten a few times since and I have tried the no and pull of technique which seems to work.
I think it's as much emotionally painful as physically, especially with helpful advice from mil about putting him on the bottle.

I think he has a couple of teeth coming through. Great, then he can attack me from top and bottom!!!

MindtheGappp Fri 21-Oct-11 15:34:41

I found when they start biting to push their face right into the breast for a few seconds. They soon get the message.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now