Talk

Advanced search

Votes needed to get us funds for breastfeeding peer support training

(4 Posts)
tortilla Thu 13-Oct-11 17:29:45

Hi all -

Along with some other members of Mid Sussex NCT, I'm hopefully soon to start training as a breastfeeding peer supporter but first of all we need to raise the money to pay for our training. We're currently up for a grant from Natwest Community Force but need lots of votes to get us the money we need and I wondered if anybody here who gained the support of a breastfeeding peer supporter, is one, or is interested in supporting their work would be able to spare a few moments to vote for us here.

At the moment initiation rates in Sussex are 80% but after 8 weeks only 41% of mums are still breastfeeding which would suggest that many mums who would love to breastfeed are stopping perhaps due to a lack of support. We want to reach these mums and support them through any early difficulties as they and their babies get used to breastfeeding so they can carry on as long as they want.

I'm a regular namechanger and just changed back to the one I have had relatively recently for a longish time in case that helps people recognise me! I'm posting here because I got so much support 3 years ago when trying to feed my DS. I truly only managed to feed him beyond about 2 weeks old due to support I got on this board but in the end we went on to 12 months grin. I've recently fed my DD for 12 months too. So I know first hand just how invaluable support from women who have been through it is in helping mums to carry on, and I want to be able to pass on the same care and support to other mums in our local area.

MNHQ - sorry if this is in the wrong place (please move it to somewhere more suitable if so) or if you think this is completely inappropriate then do of course delete it.

Sorry for the hijack of the board smile

Thank you!

Tortilla x

organiccarrotcake Fri 14-Oct-11 09:56:49

I detest these vote systems. It's totally unfair to base them on a public vote which in no way reflects the importance to the community of the grant, and only reflects the ability of the organisation requesting the money to publicise its cause.

On the other hand I'm absolutely all for what you are doing so I've voted and shared it on my Facebook page as well. Best of luck with it.

Come on ladies, let's get some votes in. It's a bit of a faff to sign up but actually it only takes about 2 minutes, which is somewhat less than most of us here spend a day doing BFing support...!!

tortilla Fri 14-Oct-11 14:43:26

Thank you! I completely agree about the unfairness of it all, but at least there is a chance of us getting the money this way so we're doing it. It's probably going to be hard for us to get votes from the general public really - people don't know they need breastfeeding peer supporters until they actually need one! So all my friends who have voted happen to have recently had babies - lots of people who haven't or had them a long time ago aren't so interested. Hence me posting here even though I was a bit uncertain about whether it was appropriate or not - every vote counts!

Huge thank you for your vote organiccarrotcake

organiccarrotcake Fri 14-Oct-11 17:56:48

Aw I would have done!!
(Bump)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now