Talk

Advanced search

Going cold turkey on night feeds

(6 Posts)
gingerbubs Thu 13-Oct-11 16:29:00

Good or bad idea?
DD is 6 months and feeds usually once, sometimes twice between about 11pm and 7am. I have no concerns about her weight and don't think she needs the feeds overnight really and want to work towards her sleeping through.
I was thinking about just going cold turkey tonight, giving her dream feed at 11pm and then offering lots of cuddles and reassurance when she wakes.
Worth a try? Awful idea? If I give it a good go (week or more) and she still seems to want night feeds then it's not the end of the world but as I say, just don't think she needs them from a calorie point of view and wonder if it's possibly becoming more habit.
Any thoughts?

MigGril Thu 13-Oct-11 16:40:35

Well I say that once a night at this age is absolutly normal. You could try an 11pm feed then see if she'll go through from then but I wouldn't push it if it doesn't work. Many baby's are still waking up once or twice at this age totaly normal.

And I'd ask you this do you think that it's aceptable to make a baby go 12hours without any drink? (ok I know some do) Do you really go 12hours without having a drink? I think you'll find you don't so why do we expect little baby's to?

gingerbubs Thu 13-Oct-11 16:45:54

Thanks for the reply. I'm not hoping for 12 hours, would keep up a dream feed at 11pm and she has gone through a spell in the past when she went 10 hours overnight for a little while. Fair point though and if she seemed to get desperately upset or still seemed to want feeds after a week (or good few days) of trying then I know one overnight feed isn't bad at this age. Plus I'm totally soft and will probably last all of 5 minutes if I do give it a go grin

MigGril Thu 13-Oct-11 16:52:37

Some baby's do start sleeping longer streachs when younger then start waking up again this to is normal. They go through so many changes sometimes it's hard to keep up.

gingerbubs Thu 13-Oct-11 16:53:45

Tell me about it! Just when you think you've got it sussed they change the goalposts again. All part of the fun I guess...

sheeplikessleep Thu 13-Oct-11 16:57:41

We did 'cold turkey' at 10 months old, as DS2 was waking 3 times a night still then (DS1 slept through 12 hours from 11 weeks).

TBH it also wasn't 'cold' turkey. We did no feeds before midnight, then no feeds before 2am, then no feeds before 4am etc, so it was more gradual.

I wouldn't have done it before then tbh, as it wasn't until then that he was on 3 proper solid meals a day and I knew most of his calories were coming from his meals, rather than milk (although he was still being BFed about 4 or 5 times a day too).

When we did it (i.e. no night feeds at all), DH did the cuddling back to sleep. Horrid two nights nights, but at least DH was there cuddling him back to sleep, was my only comfort.

He still, at 19 months, wakes for the day at 5am, but that's another matter grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now