Talk

Advanced search

Experienced mummies. . .does this sound OK??

(13 Posts)
MadameJ Thu 13-Oct-11 13:27:17

I return to work mid December sad and DD will be 1 at the end of December. She was EBF until 6 months and now alongside BF'ing she eats well and takes water from a doidy cup during meals. I went for another visit to the prospective nursery today and they seemed to think she will need formula during the day (I really struggle to express), I really don't think this is necessary as I will continue bf her morning, evening and nighttime if necessary. Am I right in thinking that she will be OK without formula during the day when she goes to Nursery? Oh I will be doing 2.5 days a week if that makes any difference. Thanks for any advice that you wish to offer grin

rockboobs Thu 13-Oct-11 13:32:42

Oh wow should a nursery dictate to you what your daughter needs foodwise? If she's never had formula why start now to satisfy their sayso?

My boy is 8 months old and regularly goes a day without a BF, if we are on the road or busy or whatnot. He eats regular lunch and dinners and I know I can give him a good BF morning and evening. She is drinking from a cup which is ace, can she have cows milk in her cup?
. I'm SAHM so haven't used a nursery but it sounds a little bossy to me.

MadameJ Thu 13-Oct-11 13:37:01

Well I was a bit hmm when they said as I hadn't even considered it before. She loves her cup and would drink whatever was put in it so yeah she can have cows milk (why didn't I think of that). I wish I didn't doubt myself so much, must be the stress of thinking about returning to work confused

RitaMorgan Thu 13-Oct-11 13:55:40

My ds has a cup of cow's milk at snack time at nursery (all the toddlers do). They will probably be eating constantly at nursery with snacks of milk/fruit/toast in between meals, so I can't imagine a 1 year old will need formula.

MadameJ Thu 13-Oct-11 13:58:46

Thanks RitaMorgan, I knew I could count on Mumsnet to reassure me.

thesurgeonsmate Thu 13-Oct-11 14:09:10

Mine had expressed milk from a cup then cows milk from a cup when she turned one. She thought the cows milk was just dandy. If nursery keen to use formula, I'd check they don't mean that they are keen to use a bottle, I wouldn't think now's a great time to start using one if DD hasn't before.

RubyrooUK Thu 13-Oct-11 14:09:26

Agree with everyone - DS has been at nursery since 9mo and has never taken a bottle/cup of formula. Actually, he never drinks milk if he can avoid it. He breastfeeds at night, eats three meals and snacks and the nursery offer him a yoghurt as a milk substitute if he gets hungry. He loves yoghurts.

The nursery did say when he started that most kids had bottles (or cups) of formula or cow's milk for over 12mo. But they quickly realised that wasn't for him and I heard them reassure another mum recently that her bottle-refusing baby would be fine as they'd find other ways to keep her happy. So maybe your nursery are just thinking what most people do, but there is no reason you need to give formula at all if you aren't keen.

KellyKettle Thu 13-Oct-11 14:09:32

My DD went to nursery at 1. I expressed but she refused it. Preferred it directly from the tap grin

They stopped bothering in the end. She ate food and drank water and caught up on milk at home.

It will be fine. No formula or other milk essential IME.

An0therName Thu 13-Oct-11 14:10:15

My both DSs stoped having a bottle in the day about 9 or 10 months when I wasn't around - DS2 happy to BF when I am. if they are having other dairy I wouldn't worry-but do try her with some cows milk - I am a bit suprised at the nursery -

suzikettles Thu 13-Oct-11 14:20:52

Another one who went back to work when ds was 11 months and didn't bother with formula.

Ds was mainly being bf morning and evening at that time, although he'd often have an extra feed during the day on the days he was at home with me.

He had cows milk from a cup at nursery and also a yoghurt at lunchtime and often cheese sandwiches for his lunch which upped the calcium.

YankNCock Thu 13-Oct-11 14:23:14

How odd. DS went to nursery at 8 months and was on two bottles of EBM a day. Dropped to 1 a day about 10 months, and dropped completely before he was 1. He had water from a cup at nursery.

HarrietJones Thu 13-Oct-11 14:24:02

Dd1 was almost one when I went back. She feeds when I'm home & eats/drinks waterwhen I'm not.

MadameJ Thu 13-Oct-11 14:59:49

Good to hear so many of you actually agree with me!. thesurgeonsmate they will regret offering her a bottle if they do as the only time I did she practically bounced it off my head grin. DD is very opinonated about such things!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now