Talk

Advanced search

generally how much expressed milk would a bf baby need for a feed?

(4 Posts)
otchayaniye Thu 13-Oct-11 12:28:33

I'm having a party for my fortieth and am banking up some expressed milk so I can have a (good) few but don't really know how much I should allow for one feed -- 3 ounces, 4?

Also, any tips for expressing. I can get 4 ounces in the morning if she's not fed form that breast (we co-sleep) in the early hours. But only 2 ounces if I express at any other time. Have to express as she feeds or else I don't get a let down. I'm offering a bottle of 2 ounces every night or so to get her used to a bottle (been ok so far)

She's 8 weeks and I have a good supply (massive at the beginning and wish I'd been in a better state to express then....)

I am a rubbish expresser, or else my Avent electrical pump is rubbish, and never really succeeded with my first child and consequently never really had a night off.

MigGril Thu 13-Oct-11 12:43:41

This is a good calculator to work out how much milk your baby would need www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

As for expressing, have you tired hand expressing? Some women get on better with hand expressing rather then a pump. Another thing to consider is the funnel on the pump the right size for your breast this can make a differences to.

Have a read through the section on keelymom about pumping miet give you some good tips to try. But 2oz is actualy a good amount to pump. It's normal to have to pump a couple of time's to get enough for a hole feed.

Pumping to early can cause problems with over supply so don't worry about not having expressed then it could have cause more problems.

otchayaniye Thu 13-Oct-11 13:02:28

thanks much milgril.

TruthSweet Thu 13-Oct-11 13:20:49

I really wouldn't say you were a rubbish expresser! 2-4oz is a cracing amount express especially when you are bfing as well.

I was in hospital when DD3 was 6m & again at 9m and she only took at most 120mls a feed (approx 4oz) but mainly 90ml (3oz) - even when she was 6m and not on any solids so a 2-3m/o wouldn't need huge feeds.

Good info to give who ever is looking after baby here so they don't overfeed baby.

Have a great night out too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now