Talk

Advanced search

White spot on one nipple

(8 Posts)
SmugisaDrug Thu 13-Oct-11 10:53:47

I have a white spot on one nipple and I'm just wondering if it's thrush or a blocked milk duct of some sort.

I have been bfing for 6 months with almost no probs, but last week slept on my stomach then went to yoga with lots of lying on my stomach positions. I think I totally squashed my breasts as the next 2 days I got extremelly painful blocked milk ducts (I think - they were hard painful lumps in my breast but I fed through them and they cleared up in about 2 or 3 days)

They'd cleared up by Sunday - then yesterday I had an extremely painful nipple, it was excruciating pain at the start of the feed for about a minute, then faded away for the rest of the feed. But when she went back to that side it would be just as painful at the start again. Today it is slightly better - I just wonder if I should go to the doctor asap, or wait to see if it clears up itself.

Just wondered if this sounds familiar to anyone and any tips on what I should do

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 13-Oct-11 11:23:06

Sorry you are having a rought time of it Smug, just wondered if you've read this?.

PaschaTheSlasher Thu 13-Oct-11 11:29:48

Sounds just like my milk blister, which came about after I cleared a painful lumpy blocked duct in the bath. I followed advice from Kellymom to get rid of it. It took about 3 weeks though. Every time I thought I cleared it, it came back within a day, until eventually I had laid it open far enough to stop the skin cells growing back and plugging it again.

Use a hot flannel for a few minutes before you feed, it will loosen a bit. Then you should be able to lift the side of the blister up - scrape it with a clean nail to expose the fresh milk.

Do not attempt to pierce the centre with a needle, you will only push bacteria down into the duct and thats the fastest way to mastitis I can think of.

It is really really painful but it will go eventually, you just have to be persistent.

PaschaTheSlasher Thu 13-Oct-11 11:30:49

xposts grin

SmugisaDrug Thu 13-Oct-11 11:31:24

Oh thanks - that sounds more like what it is rather than thrush - I'll try some of those tips out.

hsey Fri 21-Oct-11 19:58:15

I had exactly the same thing, hurt like help when he first latched on, strange white spot, took advice from Kelly mom and kept feeding through the pain and it took a couple of weeks but no pain now. Suspect milk blister. Hope it clears up soon..

happysmellyfeet Fri 21-Oct-11 20:32:41

I also have one and my mw told me today it is caused by a high fat diet and a hot compress before/during feeding would help with the pain.

OliviaTwist Fri 21-Oct-11 20:42:21

Bleb? I had one. The doctor had no idea what it was and had no suggestions on what to do with it. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now