Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tips for getting BF 9 week old to take a bottle?

(6 Posts)

Just as the title says really... DS is 9 weeks old and EBF. We followed the HV advice not to try a bottle until 6 weeks but have been trying for the last three weeks and he simply won't take one. DP has tried, DM has tried, I have tried. Nada! He'll endure having it in his mouth now and will kind of lick it, but nothing more.

Any ideas / success stories?

Thanks!

Bump? Please?

I have tickets for a gig on Friday night and desperately want to be able to leave LO (for the first time!) for a few hours!

TinyDiamond Wed 12-Oct-11 21:40:50

What sort of bottles are you using? We tried closer to nature with dd and she didn't like it one bit but I bought some MAM bottles from mothercare and she switches between these and breast no problems at all. She is 8 weeks has been having a bottle of ebm for a month or so.
Worth trying a couple of different teats maybe?
A friend had success by starting off a feed on the boob then quickly replacing nipple with bottle teat- I know my baby wouldn't go for this but maybe worth a try? Good luck

Kingshillchildminder Wed 12-Oct-11 21:52:07

I had great success with MAM bottles also, and would highly recommend trying them. When you feed your DS, have you tried holding him a bf position (tummy to Mummy) whilst feeding from the bottle. It's a slightly awkward position for you to adopt, but it may give your little man the comfort and security he derives from snuggling up to you when breastfeeding.

Thank you ladies! We have Closer to Nature bottles (the ones that came with the breast pump) so I'll try to find a MAM one tomorrow. I realised today that LO always feeds on his side so I tried the quick swap from boob to bottle and it worked in that I managed to get the bottle in his mouth (he usually clamps mouth shut as soon as he sees the bottle!) but he wouldn't actually drink from it. If it worked for you kings and tinys friend then I'll give it a go. Thank you!

drappel Wed 12-Oct-11 22:31:19

We managed to use Closer to Nature ones when DS was 7 to 11 weeks but then he rejected the bottle totally and has only just started taking one again recently, at 5 months old! We've changed to Breastflow bottles which he takes fine, we have tried a TT C2N one again, but he refused it and then also any other bottle offered that day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now