Talk

Advanced search

I breastfed DD for over 2 years but the thought of feeding DC2 fills me with disgust. Help!

(12 Posts)
PeggyCarter Tue 11-Oct-11 19:09:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TimeWasting Tue 11-Oct-11 19:11:45

I'm due any minute and can't imagine feeding DC2. It's been 6 months since DS weaned and can't imagine feeding him anymore either.
It'll change when the baby gets here, I'm sure.

Sounds like you've been quite down, have you had any help with that?

ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Tue 11-Oct-11 19:14:02

I am currently struggling with this too, only I am not sure that I can give the commitment to feeding ds 14 months, it is really irritating me!

However this baby isn't even here yet and you may find yourself feeling differently once it arrives! Also maybe don't feed for so long? A lot of my friends said they felt like they couldn't have their first dc near them when the second came along, it was brief but I find it refreshing that they could talk about it.

Good luck, its probably that you really feel you want your body to be yours at the moment, if it doesn't pass it doesn't mean that you are a bad mother at all, I am sure you will not struggle to love your dc2 smile.

nightshade Tue 11-Oct-11 19:15:11

fed dd1 until 27 mths, felt a bit like you before dd2. still feeding her at 23 mths and getting ready to wean.

have to say i enjoyed feeding far more this ime round and found it a lot easier! it will change when you have baby!

isthisweird Tue 11-Oct-11 19:17:04

Breastfeeding made me really agitated and narked off too.

DD1 fed constantly and never put on weight so ended up mixed fed til 6 months when I stopped b/feeding altogether.

I fed DD2 out of duty but didn't want to and it was a relief when she rejected the breast in favour of bottles at 4 months.

Not helpful I know, but just wanted to say i've been there too.

It will change, you will be fine.

I really struggled to find the motivation to persevere through those first hard weeks. Sore and cracked nipples, letdown pain etc. But by week 3-4 things had settled down and feeding was going well.
What I hung on to, and used to bully myself along was that I felt I HAD to give DS2 what I gave DS1. I'm still feeding him at 6.5 months and it is a lovely, loving relationship - just as it was with DS1 smile

PeggyCarter Tue 11-Oct-11 19:25:40

PeggyCarter Tue 11-Oct-11 19:27:46

TimeWasting Tue 11-Oct-11 19:49:14

I imagine there's some trepidation about the PND returning after the birth too?

I suppose I feel a little that I've already done the breastfeeding, that it was hard work, I made it through, I exceeded the goals I set myself etc.
And now I have to do that again? hmm <sigh>

It is different, but we can do it. smile

Allboxedin Tue 11-Oct-11 19:54:17

I can understand. I am due next week with dc2, I didn't manage for long with dd1 and I didn't enjoy it at all (not the same as you with your dd) but I am really not looking forward to trying again. I don't know if ours is a girl or a boy or if that will make any difference. I dread the leaky,sore breasts,getting up for feeds,trying to express etc, I know there is going to be lots of pressure to BF but I really don't feel very content about it.

discrete Tue 11-Oct-11 19:59:17

I had the same during pg with ds2 (ds1 weaned when I was pg too).

It went when he was born. He is now 18 months and down to 2-3 feeds a day and the whole thing has been a lot smoother than with ds1.

Blame it on the hormones....

Pseudo341 Tue 11-Oct-11 20:27:51

Not much advice on the bf front since it all went wrong for me at 8 weeks anyway but thought I'd point out that provided you have access to appropriate formula and clean water it really isn't the end of the world if you don't bf. My mum bf my sister but had pnd and when it came to me she just couldn't face doing it again so I had formula and it's not caused me any problems and I've never doubted that she loves me just as much as my sis. Not trying to discourage you from trying, just trying to take a bit of the pressure off. Good luck with the new baby, however you decide to feed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now