Talk

Advanced search

oral thrush not settling

(3 Posts)
bunnybunyip Tue 11-Oct-11 10:10:03

My DD is 4 weeks old and has had oral thrush for the past 3 weeks since requiring antibiotics at birth. I have been trying to treat it for the past 10 days with daktarin oral gel, when it wasn't clearing after a week I looked at the breastfeeding network site info leaflet and started treating myself with clotrimazole cream (although I have no symptoms) and increased the frequency of daktarin to four times a day. But it still looks no better after 3 days. I'm pretty sure it is thrush as it a thick white coating on her tongue, there all the time which I can't scrape off.
Anyone else had this problem? Should I persevere or maybe try some nystatin (but I think daktarin is supposed to be more effective)?

Susemyoli Tue 11-Oct-11 18:46:03

Hi there, both my daughters had a white tongue which would stay white after wiping it off, I was treated as well as them. It turned out not to be thrush at all after the doctor did a swab. Maybe try to do the same so you know for sure whether it's really thrush. Now with my third child I know for sure I have thrush because I am absolutely sore for the past 4 weeks after birth. And i know for sure it's not a latching problem. Hope everything goes well. Take care my dear.

Incapinka Tue 11-Oct-11 22:20:33

Hey. DS got thrush at about 2 weeks and also shared it with me. Initially the daktarin gel sorted it out but within a week it was back with a vengeance. This time neither daktarin or nystatin got rid of it. In the end I expressed a bottle for him each day and added 1/2 tsp of higher nature's probiotic powder. Within a week it was gone and hasn't cone back. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now