Talk

Advanced search

Keeping warm during night feeds

(19 Posts)
zinfandel Tue 11-Oct-11 01:21:41

DS is having several feeds at night and I am getting so cold when I am up with him. Short of having the heating on overnight, does anyone have good ideas for keeping warm during night feeds please?Fluffy nightgown and slippers are no longer enough!

piprabbit Tue 11-Oct-11 01:29:52

I got a zip-up fleece dressing gown, DH said I looked like a gnome but I could just unzip a bit at the top and the rest would keep me cosy without falling open like a traditional dressing gown.

You might want to think about changing your nightgown for PJs to keep your legs warmer, or get some thermal leggings to wear under your nightie (fluffy socks too?)

During the really cold weather, I would also wear an old woolly hat (adding to the general gnomishness).

There is something about sitting very still at night which seems to make me so cold - the baby always seemed cosy enough snuggled up against me in her grobag.

Am I managing to sell any of this to you? Thank heavens it's not a S&B thread.

zinfandel Tue 11-Oct-11 03:36:29

Thanks for the reply! My DS also definitely seems nice and warm, like a mini hot water bottle smile You're right about the sitting still - that's what makes me focus on how cold I am. I think I'll have to raid the winter wardrobe for fleeces, thermal leggings and ski socks for tomorrow night ( and hope DH doesn't laugh too hard at me...)

Jacksmania Tue 11-Oct-11 05:33:34

If he laughs, may I suggest you express a couple of bottles and graciously offer to let him do some night feeds while you stay city and warm in bed? And see what he piles on to try to stay warm grin

I kept a king-size fleece blanket on the rocking chair for night feeds until I gave up and we co-slept because I CBA to get up a million times a night and we all slept better after. When that wasn't enough I got an electric blanket. Now that was blissful. But even more blissful on my nice warm bed that I ended up staying in all night with baby tucked in beside me.

Jacksmania Tue 11-Oct-11 05:34:48

COZY and warm, not city and warm, what the hell is that?? Bloody iPhone autocorrect.

esselle Tue 11-Oct-11 06:21:09

I have always just gotten back into bed to do night feeds.

Loopymumsy Tue 11-Oct-11 06:27:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pseudo341 Tue 11-Oct-11 07:16:34

I know you've dismissed the idea but I actually did keep the heating on overnight, all last winter, I figured I was struggling enough without having to freeze in the night too, don't rule it out.

zinfandel Tue 11-Oct-11 08:16:37

I love the idea of co-sleeping but I've tried it and it doesn't really work well for us. But I will add spare duvet and fleece blanket to the list and maybe electric blanket/short blast of heating in the night if it keeps getting much colder. Thanks for all the suggestions!

chilledmama Tue 11-Oct-11 08:21:07

Loopymumsy...sorry for hijacking!!
i gave you the wrong email address yesterday so will have to retry that...oh and hurry up and add so I can see DD3's hair do!!!!!
Keep warm ladies

grin

LittleWaveyLines Tue 11-Oct-11 08:29:03

How about having the cot with the side off next to the bed? I sit up to feed, slide her across, then put her back in her cot, all without leaving the bed! I put on a fleece jacket to keep me warm though, and stuff it back under the pillow when finished...

GHAHSTLYGHOULYpants Tue 11-Oct-11 08:38:09

Fan heater? As soon as you go in, just blast it on.
keep a hot water bottle on your feeding chair with a blanket, so the chair is warm when you sit on it?

Ineedacleaneriamalazyslattern Tue 11-Oct-11 08:40:08

What I did with ds2 was bought some jammies (I got mine in Primark) they do ones that have a vest that goes with the bottoms and also a coordenating long sleeved top so that I could pull the top up and the vest down below my boob.

I also finally use the Snuggie blanket my friend had insisted i couldn't live without. Because it had arms I could put it over only one arm and sling it wound my shoulders when I was sitting up in bed feeding always kept me cosy.

Moodykat Tue 11-Oct-11 08:44:31

I have a very small electric blanket type thing, about 2 ft by 1 ft, just enough to keep me warm and not overheat DH. Works a treat!

Jacksmania Tue 11-Oct-11 14:56:26

I think a Snuggie (stupid looking things but dead useful) and a fan heater pointed at your feet would work.

babycham42 Tue 11-Oct-11 15:04:57

I used an old fashioned shawl and got back in bed.DD kept snug in grobag.

zinfandel Wed 12-Oct-11 00:49:53

Ski socks with long pyjama bottoms and slippers combo is working well for me tonight smile I only wish that DS wasn't waking for his first feed of the night already...

thegrandsophy Wed 12-Oct-11 19:11:05

I use one of these www.thetravelwrapcompany.com which having had 3 winter babies I think is the best bfing accessory ever. My lovely sister got me one as a (v generous) pressie. Have to say cashmere does make 3 am feel better and it is a leetle cheaper than keeping the heating on.

SpannerPants Wed 12-Oct-11 19:32:36

I've just treated myself to some cashmere bedsocks from the white company! I'm already wearing PJ's and a hoody, I'm not looking forward to the weather getting colder sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now