Talk

Advanced search

Unable to express in hospital

(20 Posts)
TruthSweet Mon 10-Oct-11 22:01:00

I'e had aLLETZ procedure and had excessive bleeding during the op so I have had to stay in tonight.

I'm bfing my 2 tomorrow Dd3 and my nearly 4yo DD2 ao I know I have milk I just can't pump any out.

I've managed 15mls and now got not quite enoigh to cover the bottom of the bottle. I know that pumping doesn't equal supply (am doing bfc training!) I justneed a handhold I think and possible a slap wink

please excuse spellimg and typos on phone.

RightUpMyRue Mon 10-Oct-11 22:08:14

You are feeding a four year old. Your body has been producing milk for your babies for four years. It won't forget overnight smile

Don't bother with pumping, your girls will get it back to where they need it within a day or two of you being home. Resting and getting better soon will do them more good than you stressing over a few mls of milk. They can suffer cows milk for now! grin

crikeybadger Mon 10-Oct-11 22:10:33

Oh you poor thing TruthSweet, would hand expressing be more fruitful?

Do you need to express tonight ?

TruthSweet Mon 10-Oct-11 22:16:42

I've been doing massage, single pumping with symphony witj compressions, then swapping back and forth twice, then hand expression but still nothing muxh.

i know it will be ok but i do get a bit panicky in hospital plus i had a skin full of morphine post procedure so was very out of it for a while.

crikeybadger Mon 10-Oct-11 22:42:07

C'mon, like Rue says, it won't forget overnight.

The best thing for you to do right now, is to get some sleep and recover from being in hospital.

tiktok Mon 10-Oct-11 23:18:59

Truth, it would take a metaphorical earthquake for your body to stop milk production at this stage....supply might slow a tad, maybe due to the procedure you have had and the time without feeding, but it will come back seamlessly when it is 'asked' for.

Mothers who are bf older toddlers and children regularly go some time between feeding, sometimes days, because of the slow way children wean themselves....and the milk is still there when it's wanted smile

TruthSweet Tue 11-Oct-11 07:33:35

Thanks all I know I know this it's just so disheartening to see drops of milk not gushes like normal. I think I just want.to go home as its.Dd3's birthday today and Dd1 is really upset too.

plus I had some kind of allergic reaction to the iv anti bs so the had to give me temazepam to knock me as I can't have anti histamines with my otjer meds. as usual i got told no bfing for 24hr. just lucky i have the lact med ap on my phone and the dr was reassured by it so waived the no bfing!

Still everyone asks how old baby is and when I say 2 & nearly 4 they get a confused look so I have say years not months grin

TruthSweet Wed 12-Oct-11 07:11:32

As always MN was right. DD3 fed 5 times (inc 2 overnight - yay wink) and DD3 fed twice. There was lots of milk although DD2 wanted me to do compressions as she nursed (MIL looked a bit hmm at that point!).

I am pleased to report that the anaesthetist was great - knocked me out with gas first so they didn't have to use as much anaesthetic so I could bf/express as soon as I was conscious.

I got a pump within 10 mins of asking (and the kind that normally works for me) and no one said anything about it being a good time to stop. I even had one nurse congratulate me on getting so far (not that I need congratulations but it was much better than looks of disgust!)

I think the baby friendly hospital training is working. I was in gynae though and there were pg mothers on the ward so I guess they have to be a bit more trained in bfing than the general wards.

tiktok Wed 12-Oct-11 08:50:03

smile

crikeybadger Wed 12-Oct-11 09:28:58

Good news Truth, glad it all worked out well.

organiccarrotcake Wed 12-Oct-11 12:57:54

Hi TS. Just seen this thread and wanted to say glad all is well. Hope you recover quickly smile

LOL @ DD2 asking for compressions and MIL grin grin

Hugs xx

TruthSweet Wed 12-Oct-11 13:16:50

Thanks OCC - normally MIL is very good but I think that was a bridge too far especially as it had to be 'over the top bahs' not the more MIL friendly under the top bah that I prefer in company.

I made about 2oz in the end (for about 1 1/2 hours of pumpinghmm) and DD3 had it in a beaker when I got home. She drank a bit and went 'Bah mik' grin and then dragged me to the sofa to have real bah instead!

organiccarrotcake Wed 12-Oct-11 13:19:42

grin

organiccarrotcake Wed 12-Oct-11 13:20:04

BTW are you going to the UNICEF conference in November? Would be good to catch up.

TruthSweet Wed 12-Oct-11 15:19:37

No where is it? Anywhere near me (down South that is)? It would be good to catch up - did you go to the AGM that you messaged me about and I forgot to reply to? blush

organiccarrotcake Wed 12-Oct-11 15:40:10

Yes, that was in London (UKAMB). Very interesting. No, the UNICEF one is in Liverpool! But if I can make London... wink

AND I had to do a presentation at the UKAMB conference, and DS2 woke up halfway through so I did the second half of the presentation while BFing, trying to get him to eat a sandwich and juggling him in the sling grin.

TruthSweet Wed 12-Oct-11 15:47:32

Well done you on the presentation multi-tasking. I don't think I will be able to make Liverpool - very tight budget at the moment (when are we not on a tight budget??). I only go to go to the London conference as my local bfing group paid for it.

My supply is definitely working as DD3 has had a explosive nappy and the Dr warned me about that effect on bf babies with the anti-bs I'm on! Oh the joy though...

Finallygotaroundtoit Wed 12-Oct-11 15:47:39

Was confused then grin grin at < 'over the top bahs' not the more MIL friendly under the top bah >

TruthSweet Wed 12-Oct-11 15:52:15

Sorry I forget not everyone speaks DD2 speak - she was convinced when younger that I had 4 'bahs' 2 over and 2 under my top. She always preferred the over the top bahs at home rather than the under the top ones mummy made her have when we were out.

Mind you at a E-F cup they are a bit over the top no matter how I get them out grin <missing my Bs>

organiccarrotcake Wed 12-Oct-11 16:11:04

LOLOL

Shame about Liverpool, but next time smile

Excellent news about supply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now