Talk

Advanced search

My baby chokes every time!

(8 Posts)
SoBroken Mon 10-Oct-11 20:17:30

DS2 (who is 5 weeks) chokes during every breastfeed. He has to pull off and coughs violently, in every position we feed in. He goes back on fine straight away, but he really cries and gets quite distressed.

I'm not really even sure this is a problem, but I breastfed my DS1 for three years (and still going!) and don't think he ever did this. Just want to make sure it's not a symptom of something I'm doing wrong.

discrete Mon 10-Oct-11 20:19:25

Do you have a really strong let-down? If so, you could try expressing a tiny bit (or getting ds1 to feed for a little bit) before the baby latches on, that might help.

thisisyesterday Mon 10-Oct-11 20:20:16

Mmm agree that it could be overactive letdown. where the milk just comes out really forcefully.
is he ok towards the end of the feed when it has slowed down a little bit?

FeelMyWraith Mon 10-Oct-11 20:20:28

Is it at the beginning of a feed in particular? You might have a forceful letdown. If so you can try expressing a tiny amount until letdown has happened and then latch him on.

Your flow might just be a bit too fast for him.

What's his weight gain like?

bunnyfrance Tue 11-Oct-11 09:51:20

My DD is the same, also have a DS1 who never choked. I've come to the conclusion I have a strong let-down.

She's 8 weeks now, and the good news is it seems to have stopped, overnight, over the past few days. I think she's big enough to handle the fast flow now.

Also, what helped was leaning right back when feeding, so the milk wouldn't flow out so fast. Worth a try?

SoBroken Tue 11-Oct-11 09:57:45

You may be right. With DS1, I could never feel myself letting down. With DS2, I definitely can, so it stands to reason my reflex must be stronger.

His weight gain has been great, following his curve on the chart nicely and he never lost weight after birth. He was 8lb 5 at birth so not a small baby either.

Glad it doesn't seem like anything I should worry about. I'll break out my pump & give expressing a try until I let down. Hopefully that will help. Thanks!

mawbroon Tue 11-Oct-11 10:05:40

It does sound like oversupply.

kellymom has some other tips to try before pumping. It mentions pumping before let down as a last resort.

HTH

SoBroken Tue 11-Oct-11 18:51:04

Brilliant, thanks for that link, lots of helpful stuff there. Think I'll try a new position first!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now