Talk

Advanced search

Help, DD is refusing food and hasn't fed since 9am

(14 Posts)
TrinaLuciusMalfoy Mon 10-Oct-11 18:52:33

10 weeks, BF and she fed quite happily this morning but has absolutely point blank refused the breast ever since - but she's inconsolable and won't stop crying because she's hungry. I've tried expressing and giving her a bottle (even though she won't take one under normal circumstances anyway) but she won't have it. I've tried giving her Calpol as I think she's teething but it's not made any difference. What do I do?

belledechocchipcookie Mon 10-Oct-11 18:53:43

Does she have a temperature?

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Mon 10-Oct-11 19:05:00

Nope, as far as I can see there's nothing with her sad

LittleWaveyLines Mon 10-Oct-11 19:06:53

When my DD has refused feeds I've walked around with her with her mouth at nipple level and my boob hanging out.... the movement has calmed her enough to feed eventually. Might be worth a try? Although there may be some reason for the no feeding...

belledechocchipcookie Mon 10-Oct-11 19:08:19

Hmm. I don't know. I'd be tempted to get her checked out, it's a long time for a newborn to go without a feed. Do you know if she had a temp before you gave her calpol?

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Mon 10-Oct-11 19:11:19

She was a little cozy but she had just been in the car so that might have been it. She fed so well before she had her jabs last week, she's just not been the same since sad

BertieBotts Mon 10-Oct-11 19:20:39

Oh bless her sad Try a bath, together, with her lying on your tummy/chest. Sometimes the warmth and the water and skin to skin relax them enough to latch on. You'll be in the biological nurturing position too which can help. Try not to stress (I know easier said than done).

If bath doesn't work I would probably take her to the OOH doc or even A&E - if she won't feed she will need to get fluids somehow. Have you tried going out of the house and letting DH try her with the bottle?

bobbledog Mon 10-Oct-11 19:22:12

I had a bit of this with DS after her jabs - although she only went 5 ish hours without feeding, but that's unusual for her.

Inconsolable screaming, refusing to feed, just lying her down on the feeding cushion increased the volume and piercing nature of the screams.

It took around an hour of skin to skin whilst pacing the house/dancing/singing to calm her down and she eventually fed ok. Maybe something to try.

LittleWaveyLines Mon 10-Oct-11 19:22:35

Have you checked to see if a hair is caught around a finger or toe or something?

bobbledog Mon 10-Oct-11 19:22:47

DS?!!confused DD! doh!

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Mon 10-Oct-11 19:35:21

I've tried leaving her with DH and the bottle, although admittedly not actually leaving the house (left the room to tend to dinner). No hair caught anywhere as she's fine if I'm not trying to feed her! (she's now gone back to sleep without fuss).

Will try the bath and skin to skin ideas, thanks

sc2987 Mon 10-Oct-11 21:42:38

If you have a sling you can do skin-to-skin in (e.g. an Ergo or wrap) this is good as she can feed as soon as she gets interested. Also more likely to feed in the upright position if she has e.g. cold/ear infection that's making her grumpy.

BertieBotts Mon 10-Oct-11 22:16:30

I've found this too. Help! My baby won't nurse!

Do you know the of dehydration? Keep an eye out, if she starts showing these signs it's probably best to go to A&E as she's so little.

LittleWaveyLines Tue 11-Oct-11 08:32:45

How's it going?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now