Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about feeding from a cup (4m.o.)

(7 Posts)
CitizenOscar Mon 10-Oct-11 16:24:54

My 4mo DS isn't keen on bottles (I'm ebf) so I was thinking about trying a sippy cup or similar. Is this a bad idea? If it's a good idea, what type is the best to start with? He really doesn't take a bottle at all and I would like to be able to express for him sometimes. Any advice?

MigGril Mon 10-Oct-11 16:29:32

Best to go with just a free flow beaker, not a valve type one as they aren't good for teeth.

Another option it to try an open cup often BF baby's can do this more easily. You can try any open cup but something like a dodie cup make's them less of a spill issuse I think.

CitizenOscar Mon 10-Oct-11 16:51:05

Thanks. This might be a silly question but are any brands etc better/different? Or should I just pop to the shop and look for a free flow cup?

CitizenOscar Mon 10-Oct-11 16:59:48

Also is 4 months too early to try a cup/beaker or is that totally reasonable?

MigGril Mon 10-Oct-11 17:16:33

No not to early a lot of cup's start from 4months. I use the tommy tippe free flow cup's but only becasue you can get them for less then £1 if you look around.

Just avoid any with a valve as they often have to bite the cup I found this encouraged DD to bite me when feeding. Plus they aren't supposed to be good for teeth.

Don't expect him to take to it straigh away they need to learn to drink from a cup so a little practices is needed.

CitizenOscar Tue 11-Oct-11 10:15:18

Thanks, I'll give it a go. thanks

MadameJ Tue 11-Oct-11 20:37:09

DD (also BF) has used a doidy cup since 4 months and although it was initially very messy, she can now at 9 months use it completely independantly so be prepared for a complete change of clothes after ever try grin. I never had any success with anything with a teat/spout, if it wasn't my nipple it wasn't going in!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now