Talk

Advanced search

Vitamin supplement when BFing.

(7 Posts)
ParkerRocks Mon 10-Oct-11 13:01:17

Could anyone tell me if it's ok to take an ordinary multivitamin whilst breastfeeding? Have been using up my stockpile of pregnacare but they are expensive. I bought boots own brand multivitamins but now I'm wondering if they are ok to take! thanks!

AnaisB Mon 10-Oct-11 13:04:24

I don't think so. There's a vitamin in most multi-vits that you shouldn't take when breastfeeding, but I can't remember which one (maybe vitamin A). Hopefully someone else will know - or talk to the pharmacist.

ParkerRocks Mon 10-Oct-11 13:08:55

I thought the vitamin A thing was only during pregnancy, perhaps I'm wrong. My local pharmacy is useless for this sort of enquiry!

Stinax Mon 10-Oct-11 13:10:45

I know that Sanatogen New Mother doesn't have vitamin A in but I can't find any evidence (on the internet) as to why Vit A is a problem when breastfeeding. Some multi vits say on the box/leaflet not to take when pregnant or breastfeeding but some just say not to take when pregnant and don't mention breastfeeding. What do the Boots ones say on the leaflet?

It really gets my goat that anything which is specifically for pregnant/breastfeeding women or for young babies always carries a massive price tag - just when chances are you're not working and have less money!

Hmmm, there may be an argument for sex discrimination here

tiktok Mon 10-Oct-11 13:20:43

Boots will have a consumer helpline for this sort of enquiry.

I have never heard of Vit A (or any other vitamin) being an issue in breastfeeding.

Colliecollie Mon 10-Oct-11 13:26:08

Wellwoman normal stuff says it is ok for breastfeeding. They also sell the pregnant and breastfeeding version.

ParkerRocks Mon 10-Oct-11 13:39:31

The info simply says consult a doctor before taking this if you are pregnant or breastfeeding! I think it's an utter waste of an appointment to be honest. I just would like to take something as the combination of breastfeeding, night feeds and having my period back is really running me down. Despite the fact I eat well I can feel another cold brewing. Can't afford to buy the pregnancy/breastfeeding ones just now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now