Talk

Advanced search

How do I get 11mo DS to feed less at night and more in the day?

(5 Posts)
HenriettaPepperpot Sun 09-Oct-11 14:56:22

My son is getting on for 11 months and I'm a bit worried he's gone on some kind of nursing strike. At night, if I'm lucky he'll have two feeds, but more often about four - something like 8pm, midnight, 3am, 5.30am and on waking, which is anytime between 6.30am and 8.30am.

In the last couple of days, however, I've been struggling to feed him during the day. He opens his mouth wide as if he's keen to feed, but then starts crying, squirming and generally fighting me. I have been feeling a bit uncomfortable today as he's had so little milk. He has been very distractible for a while now to the point where I can't usually talk to other people when he's feeding. Most daytime feeds are very short too.

It may be that he is just taking in more solid food so doesn't need so much BM, but if that's the case I wish he could have less at night and more in the day! His poo is quite solid now (sorry for TMI there), though we do BLW so I'm not sure how much actually goes in. He also drinks very little water, just a few sips here and there.

Any advice gratefully received!

HenriettaPepperpot Sun 09-Oct-11 14:59:02

Sorry, me again - I forgot to say he doesn't have any bottles.

HenriettaPepperpot Mon 10-Oct-11 14:20:42

Bump

MigGril Mon 10-Oct-11 17:01:50

Note sure I can help much. Short feeds are quit normal at this age, so the being distracted thing. You could try and encourage him to be at the breast by giving him something to focus on. But as he's eating more solids he will take less.

Is it that he's waking more at night then he has before?

You could have a read through this section on keelymom on feeding an older infant mite give you a few ideas www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/index.html

If it's any consulation my 11month old is like this to at the moment. I'm just a kind of go with the flow person though and we cosleep so not bothered how often he wakes at night. Have the time I'm not even sure I know how much he wakes up.

sc2987 Mon 10-Oct-11 21:49:35

You could try him skin-to-skin in a sling, both of these can encourage them to feed. He should be able to help himself by that age in that situation, so you don't have to keep trying to force him, just get on with housework etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now