Talk

Advanced search

Does something change at 4 months?

(7 Posts)
Stinax Sat 08-Oct-11 14:10:43

My DD is 16 weeks and for the last 2 weeks her feeding habits have changed quite dramatically. She is ebf and previously I fed on cue which usually works out at every 2.5-3 hours. She slept from 8pm to 7am with a 10.30pm feed(I know I'm a lucky, lucky girl). She always fed well and usually for 20-45 mins

For the last couple of weeks she has been refusing the breast at some feeds, literally turning her head away even though she is showing signs of being hungry. At other times she will feed but for only 5 minutes and then start arching her back and screaming. I wind her etc but it doesn't seem to help. Once I take her away from the breast and sit her up she's fine and will then go another couple of hours before feeding again. Some feeds however are fine and last the usual 20-45 mins with very little fussing. She has started waking in the night which I actually find a relief because it means I get to feed her more and she feeds nicely when she's tired. On the whole though, I cannot see that she is taking anywhere near as much milk as she used to.

She's also sick A LOT but generally a happy spitter.

Any ideas? Is it an age thing?

Secondtimelucky Sat 08-Oct-11 14:37:44

I don't know enough to comment too much, but they definitely do get far more distracted at this age. They become a lot more aware of their surroundings, and therefore prone to stopping part way through, fussing, popping on and off, etc.

Sounds like the 4 month sleep regression has arrived too!

beckieperk Sat 08-Oct-11 16:17:33

Can't speak about the regression thing but my ds sounds similar and has been diagnosed with acid reflux. He takes little feeds more often than before to sooth the acid sensation and he prefers being in the sitting position. Arching the back is very common too. Have a look at the symptoms and see what you think. May be way off the mark but it might be worth ruling it out. smile
Ps FWIW I hope it isn't reflux as it's pretty unpleasant. sad good luck.

brilaunt Sat 08-Oct-11 18:07:11

hi my baby is EXACTLY the same... got to about 12 weeks and all the things you said happened... she's also sick and HV said that arching back could be a bit of reflux, but like you she doesnt do it every feed. I convinced myself it was thrush saw2 gps they really didnt know one end of her from other but gave me treatment anyway... now im not so sure it was thrush as shes just the same nowand defo hasnt got it...also waking for night feed which is also lovely, quiet and efficient like yours! her weight gain has also slowed down to 3/4/5 oz per week which i was worried about as thought this corresponded with less/shorter feeds. if shes tired though she will stay on me and 'snack' for as long as i'll let her and doze off! god this bfing is a can of worms! excuse typing errors-feeding!

Stinax Mon 10-Oct-11 11:26:23

Can of worms indeed brilaunt. I feel like I spend my whole time either feeding or worrying about/discussing feeding. I've turned into exactly the type of mother I didn't want to be smile

Thanks for all the replies

PemPemLondon Mon 10-Oct-11 18:19:13

My baby is exactly the same! He's 16weeks and started like this at about 12 weeks(with the addition of 3 hr screaming frenzies in the evening). We were prescribed gaviscon which seemed to help for a while but made him constipated. I am still giving it to him but he seems to be getting worse again- feeds for a few mins, cries, arches back and then stops as soon as I sit him up. It's so heartbreaking! So
Sometimes he refuses the boob all together. Someone has suggested teething- the sucking hurts the gums? Have you thought about that? I can't see anything in his gums but he chews a lot and dribbles an amazing amount. Mine was also sleeping almost through the night but now wakes for a feed, and often wakes again just for a grizzle too. So maybe teething is a possibility...

sc2987 Mon 10-Oct-11 21:46:21

In more traditional societies where babies are carried all day, they feed several times an hour for short periods. Perhaps she is trying to fall into this pattern? They are less likely to be sick then as they take many small amounts so are never really full.

Also they get more efficient at feeding, so she may seem to be taking less but is probably just getting better at suckling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now