Talk

Advanced search

Constant feeding in 3 week old - ?fast let down or growth spurt

(5 Posts)
benne81 Sat 08-Oct-11 10:13:39

Hi folks I would really like your opinion on my 3week old DS. He has been doing very well, is ebf and latches on well. After lots of feeding at the start he seemed to be settling down slightly waking 2-3 times in the night and settling after feeds which I thought was pretty amazing. Anyway last night everything changed he has fed every hour and becomes inconsolable if not fed immediately.

I have also noticed over the last week that he does cough and splutter when he first starts bf and has to have a break before carrying on. He feeds for quite short periods (10-20 mins) and on occassion I have noticed when he comes off the milk squirts out and hits him in the face - could this be fast let down. I have never felt the let down sensation that is described in thebooks.

Or do you think it is a growth spurt and that maybe it will be better this evening - I do hope so!

Anyone out there with similar experience? Or advice?

Mampig Sat 08-Oct-11 10:51:02

Hi have to be quick- pretty sure there's a growth spurt at 3 weeks- my ds was same- relentless!! Should pass soon!! smile

Mampig Sat 08-Oct-11 10:52:20

Sounds like fast let down too!! Think you've got it Sussed though xx

MonkeeMummy Sat 08-Oct-11 13:38:00

Most babies do go through a growth spurt at 3 and 6 weeks (all mine did, anyway) so just hang in there cos it will pass pretty quickly. I usually feed about every 3 hours but during growth spurts feed whenever she demands and use it as a good excuse to curl up on the sofa with a good book or the telly and chuck DH out to another room for the night so I can feed all night (and sleep, too). I also have a fast letdown and although my DD doesn't seem to mine being sprayed with milk, I keep a muslin/breast pad handy to cover my boob if she pops off (particularly if feeding in public and want to avoid getting soaked while she has a bit of a look round). As Mampig says sounds like you've got a great milk supply and have got it sussed. grin

MonkeeMummy Sat 08-Oct-11 13:46:26

Oh and I have never experienced the toe-curling pain of letdown either; more of a 'ahhhh that's better' feeling, so don't worry if your experience of letdown doesn't match what's described in the books - everyone's different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now