Talk

Advanced search

How weight sensitive is ranitidine?

(6 Posts)
buttonmoon78 Fri 07-Oct-11 08:07:08

Last Friday ds was 14lb1oz. His consultant prescribed him .5ml ranitidine x 3 daily. He's already on gaviscon (6 sachets per day).

Over the last 24hrs he's been in increasing pain. Given that he historically has been putting on at least 7/8oz a week is it likely to be that he needs more R or are we headed down the omeprazole route?

cheekeymonster Fri 07-Oct-11 17:10:19

Are you sure he should still be taking gaviscon with the ranitidine. Normally recommended you only take 1 or other?
Is he passing stools?

buttonmoon78 Fri 07-Oct-11 17:48:18

grin plenty of poos! Though when he was taking gaviscon with cow and gate it was another matter!

GPs normally prescribe either/or but paeds routinely offer both.

Anyhow, thank you for your response. I spoke to ds's consultant on the phone today (who knew it would be that easy?!) and she's taken him off the ranitidine and put him onto omeprazole combined with the G. Apparently she'd given him a large enough dose to see him through a good weight gain so if it wasn't working now it never would.

So - happy days - I now have to take apart the O capsules and mix with something...

cheekeymonster Fri 07-Oct-11 18:27:09

Oh I hope all will be ok. Reflux at any age is a bitch but must be awful for you both.

silverangel Fri 07-Oct-11 21:31:56

My girls are on ranitidine, domperidone and gaviscon. Currently 5lb6 and 5lb1 and on .25ml ranitidine 3x day, I asked consultant if it should be increased as have been on that dosage since around the 4lb mark and he aid no hey are def on enough.

I hope the O works out for you x

chilipeppers Sat 08-Oct-11 12:31:25

Omeprazole work for my DD alone with Gav in each feed,(no more then 6 times a day) She's like a different baby now so happy and sleeps so much better.
Ranitidine didn't work for her.
Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now