Talk

Advanced search

BF and spotting?

(3 Posts)
lurcherlover Thu 06-Oct-11 22:46:11

DS is 11 months, still bf but obviously eating lots of solids too (he's BLW). My periods started up again when he was 8 months and have been regular since then. However, I've been having a lot of spotting since he was about 6 months. I've had a smear test which was normal, and I had a gynae appointment last month for follow-up to a childbirth trauma repair job I had to have done a while ago and mentioned it then - she wasn't particularly concerned and said it's probably as I'm still bfing. It's getting a bit of a nuisance though - I'm ruining my nice knickers! Has anyone else had spotting while bf? I probably get it once a week or so. Am a bit worried it might be something sinister, but a normal smear test and an unconcerned doctor hopefully mean it isn't. I was hoping to carry on feeding DS for the foreseeable future, and until he's 18months-2 years if I can, so it will be a while before I can see if not bfing makes the spotting go away (and a long time to live with it if that's the cause). I didn't have this at all until he was about 6 months old. Any thoughts from anyone?

BertieBotts Thu 06-Oct-11 23:03:45

I don't think that it could be caused by breastfeeding, because breastfeeding only affects ovulation, it doesn't affect menstruation in any other way and doesn't in fact affect your body hormonally that much at all (unless you are stopping). It seems an odd conclusion to come to, but some HCPs seem keen to pin every tiny little thing on breastfeeding just as a convenient explanation when sometimes they just don't know either!

Are you on any kind of birth control? I think this is more likely to cause it (in my un-medical opinion!)

For the knicker problem, if you use a mooncup, it's safe to use it in between periods even if you're only getting spotting. If you don't this might be a good reason to try one grin (Or, soaking in cold water before washing & not letting the stain dry is a good tip for blood stains)

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Oct-11 18:06:08

Agree with Bertie, I've never heard of anyone who has spotting due to bfing, but then I'm not trained.

Hope this bumps it for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now