Talk

Advanced search

Stopping feeding with bottle and formula refuser

(5 Posts)
greeneone12 Thu 06-Oct-11 21:02:38

Hi All

Over the months I have received some lovely support and advice on here and this is my final question re breastfeeding. I really would like to drop down to 2 feeds at 12 months and shortly after stop completely. Can anyone give any advice/guidance on doing so with a baby that dosn't take a bottle or like formula or cows milk? Please - no negative comments about mother lead weaning. I know if I wait for her to wean it will be years and it's just not for me.

I am very nervous about stopping as she really isn't eating that well but her weight gain is fine. I am hoping that if I drop feeds she will eat better.

I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me as I am nervous about stopping when my milk can't be substituted with anything else. DD has eczema and we suspect dairy may aggrevate it but can't be 100% sure. She doesn't like cheese so would worry about how to get enough calcium into her.

Thanks again in advance.

MigGril Thu 06-Oct-11 22:26:58

You don't need to subsitute with formula at 12months so if you want to carry on feeding till then don't worry about trying to introduce it.

How old is she? I have hurd that Baby's do sometimes refuse to eat foods they may be intolerant to, so there may be something in the dairy thing.

A lot of babies are on just two feed's a day by 12months and still get enough milk this way.

I will warn you though that droping milk feed's may not make any difference in the amount of solids she take's. Some baby's just take longer to get solid foods then other's, it's better to try and take a relaxed approach to eating though rather then forceing it as you don't want to give negative association with food.

Depending on age you can start offering snak's and a drink instead of a milk feed.

greeneone12 Fri 07-Oct-11 09:24:26

She is 11MO and will be 1 in 2 weeks. She is still on 3 feeds at the moment but because she is not great with food I can't see how I will substitue that 3pm feed with a snack. I try to be relaxed. Just can't see the end in sight but also don't want to rush her! Bah!

MrsVidic Sat 08-Oct-11 12:52:00

Firstly- you have done really well and do not feel bad for stopping now. My dd1 stopped at the same time- she just had cows milk from a sippy cup and was fine- have you tried your dd with sweetened soya milk? dont worry about a bottle- introducing that now will just give you more problems than it will solve.

She doesnt need milk for everything- does she like cheese? Dried apricots (fab source of iron)? custard?

Just make sure she gets full fat not low fat options

greeneone12 Sat 08-Oct-11 18:44:26

Thank you smile We are a little worried that dairy affects her eczema so we don't give her cows milk and she won't eat cheese at all. She does love apricots though and will eat them until the cows come home. There is so much advertising about follow on milk that I just feel so paranoid that by stopping at 1 I will be denying her essential nutrients (especially as she won't eat cheese giving her essential calcium). The fact that it's my choice to stop - I am just putting huge pressure on myself I guess.

I will try warmed soya milk in a cup and see how we get on with that. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now