Talk

Advanced search

Breast feeding and antibiotics

(8 Posts)
Going2bamum Thu 06-Oct-11 20:14:42

hey everyone, I'm a new mum to a prem baby (3wk) who is now 14 days old! Unfortunately I have picked up an infection and doc has prescribed metronidazole, I have read mixed reviews about breast feeding and taking this, my gp sat on the fence! Has anyone else taken this while breast feeding????

BenRoo Thu 06-Oct-11 21:30:01

Your GP sat on the fence!
That's terrible. angry

Metronidazole is not one of the nicest antibiotics, lots of side effects.
Significant amounts pass into your milk and I would recommend avoiding using it.
Of course,I don't know why you've been prescribed it but your GP should follow your local guidelines and recommend an alternative.
Personally I'd speak to your local pharmacist.
Good luck smile

thisisyesterday Thu 06-Oct-11 21:34:45

info on it here from lactmed

thisisyesterday Thu 06-Oct-11 21:36:09

and from the breastfeeding network

both suggest you can carry on breastfeeding. although you may prefer to ask your GP for an alternative that they know is fine for breastfeeding?

NotAnotherNewNappy Thu 06-Oct-11 21:52:24

Hi, I am on Amoxcicillin (sp?) which my pharmacist and the wisdom of the internet (kellymom etc) suggest is fine to take while breastfeeding. Your GP really should have investigated other options with you. Can you ring the surgery tomorrow and ask him/her to call you back to discuss alternatives? I am guessing that 3 weeks after giving birth and with a tiny baby to care for you don't really fancy hanging out at the doctors all day. Congratulations and I hope you recover soon x

Going2bamum Thu 06-Oct-11 22:05:58

Hey thanks everyone. I rang the gp and asked for an alternative apparently for the infection I have there is no other medication!!!!! My gp sounded positive at first saying it was one of the safest but when he referred to his book it suggested otherwise whilst breastfeeding. Pharamist said it's ok as long as I don't take single high doses, who do I listen to?
I'm taking 400 mg 3 x a day!

NotAnotherNewNappy Thu 06-Oct-11 22:11:36

As a mum you really can't do right for doing wrong, can you? I would be tempted to listen to the pharmacist. My dentist prescribed my antibiotics but then told me to leave them off as I was BF, I double checked with the pharmacist who said it was fine so took them anyway. I would hope a pharmacist would know more about how individual drugs work than a GP who has general knowledge of all medicines. How is your LO doing? Can you speak to midwife?

thisisyesterday Thu 06-Oct-11 22:18:09

you can call/email the BFN and they will give good advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now