Talk

Advanced search

3 month old waking up in nights

(21 Posts)
meera21 Thu 06-Oct-11 15:46:53

My DD turned 3 months last week and she is waking up in night 1-2 times. I am EBF her. Have a fairly good bedtime routine with her, around 7pm she settles herself to sleep, then ususally between 11pm and 1am she'll wake up for a feed and then again between 3am and 5am for another feed. I tried doing a dream feed at 11 with her but this didnt work for me as it seemed to interrupt her cycle and she would wake more often in the night. I now let her wake herself to give her a feed. I would like her to try and get through the 1st part of night without a night feed, is this realistic or too early?? During the day she feeds every 2-3 hours and naps 3-4 times a day for about 45 mins each time..any suggestions/tips pls?

buttonmoon78 Thu 06-Oct-11 15:50:23

I would suggest (and will not be surprised to see others say the same) that at 3 months you actually have it pretty good! I also have a baby that age and he's doing the same so I know it doesn't feel 'pretty good' grin but babies at this age do really need to be fed often.

Read a few more threads here and you'll soon see that waking 2+ times a night is far more typical, especially of bf babies.

mistlethrush Thu 06-Oct-11 15:53:04

She's 3 months old!

I went back to work when ds was 6mo and I was being woken 1 - 3 times per night, with at least one feed. Ds woke me last night (again) and he's 6.5 (yrs) so it doesn't necessarily even stop when they don't get hungry! grin

Things will get better and you will (I believe, or at least I am told) get more sleep eventually - however, she's too small to think that she can necessarily go through the night yet.

MamaMaiasaura Thu 06-Oct-11 15:53:20

Far to early to go thro especially ebf. 12 weeks is a growth spurt as nocturnal nursing builds up supply. Look up kellymom smile

beckieperk Thu 06-Oct-11 15:57:08

My ds is 10 weeks old and almost exactly the same pattern as your Lo. I'm told and now believe this to be completely 'normal' if there is such a thing for little babies?smile

KD0706 Thu 06-Oct-11 16:31:22

I'm afraid I agree it's par for the course too.

From memory, my dd was waking 2-3 times a night at that age.

RitaMorgan Thu 06-Oct-11 16:32:19

Sounds like you have a pretty textbook 3 month old there, in terms of eating and sleeping - other than the self-settling, that's pretty impressive! My ds would have just cried hysterically at that age and needed to be fed or rocked to sleep.

Mine was very similar at 3 months, except he slept 7pm-3am at the start of the night and then woke at 3, 5 and 7. I also tried to dreamfeed with no real success. Be warned though, there is a big growth spurt/developmental leap/sleep regression at 4 months that affects many babies really badly - at 18 weeks ds suddenly went from sleeping 8 hours to waking every 45 minutes shock

LittleWaveyLines Thu 06-Oct-11 16:43:25

Gah! My 3 month old wakes at 9pm, 12pm, 2am, 4am, 6am and is up at 7am.... also EBF... !

Not jealous, much.... grin

Mampig Thu 06-Oct-11 20:26:43

Same story here!! I actually posted about this a couple of days ago!! In fact from about 2/3am I am getting woken every hour for feeds...

Tryharder Thu 06-Oct-11 21:46:09

I read your OP and thought "what's your problem?" Then read the replies and realised that everyone else had had the same thought grin.

Most new mothers would have a far easier and less stressful time if they just accepted that the vast majority of babies do not sleep through. You will always get one smartarse who had their babies sleeping through since Day 1 using CC or CIO or whatever. Ignore.

Is this your first baby? I have 3 DCs and my eldest is 7. I haven't had a completely undisturbed night's sleep for about 7 years. You get used to it, honestly wink

Moulesfrites Thu 06-Oct-11 21:47:55

she is 3 months old! My 8mo ds sometimes wake more than this!

Moulesfrites Thu 06-Oct-11 21:50:17

actually at 3m his sleep wasn't too bad. Then it all went tits up from the 4m regression from which we never really seem to have recovered. So don't necessarily expect a linear improvement. It gets easier as you just get better at coping with the broken sleep, IMO.

louby78 Fri 07-Oct-11 13:01:34

3 months and she is still tiny!! I'd say she needs to be fed twice a night still. My 10 month old is still waking - he on the other hand doesn't need it!!

Caz10 Fri 07-Oct-11 13:05:49

Sorry OP! you'll have got the gist of it by now! If you want further cheering (!) my dd was like that at 3mths then itall went downhill!!

Secondtimelucky Fri 07-Oct-11 13:20:15

LittleWavey - bar the 9pm waking (but she only goes to bed at 8), your three month old sounds exactly like most nights with my 4 month old. Then every so often she throws in a better or worse night, just to keep me on my toes!

usingapseudonym Fri 07-Oct-11 14:26:31

When my daughter was 3 months she was feeding every 2-3 hours. Sounds like you have it very good to only wake 1-2 times a night! Enjoy it!

LittleWaveyLines Fri 07-Oct-11 14:27:49

Secondtimelucky, yes my dd goes to bed at 8 as well.... just needs to feed again at 9!

They do like to keep you on your toes, don't they? grin

vj32 Fri 07-Oct-11 14:35:58

My DS slept through from 9 weeks until 16 weeks. But he never had more than one 45 min nap in the day. And once he hit 4 months, any sort of pattern went out the window anyway.

I would swap waking up once a night for all that time to do stuff in the day! I think whichever way you have it, it is probably a case of wanting what you haven't got!

feelingratheroverwhelmed Fri 07-Oct-11 14:40:59

OP you need to expect this to get much worse when she hits four months! HAving to get up in the night is horrid but it's just what you have to do, and the best thing is to not set yourself up with any expectations at all, and certainly don't listen to any friends / relatives / aquaintances who tell you thiers are / did sleep through at that age. They were either very lucky, or were completely lying through their teeth!

meera21 Fri 07-Oct-11 17:18:59

hi thanks for your experiences, i do realise that her sleep patterm is not bad at all, but afer speaking to a couple of other mums who said their little ones tended to sleep for good part of night i started to question myself. last night i put dd to sleep around her bedtime, she did stir at 10.30/11 but i just shushed her as i didnt think she was waking cos of hunger, she slept thru til 3.30 for a feed and then 7am..however today her daytime naps have been terrible - for some reason just not wanting to settle herself at all and lots of screaming which is quite unusual for her, as she has been very good at that.

Caz10 Fri 07-Oct-11 18:04:39

meera21 your sleeps last night sound amazing tbh, I know there are these magical 7-7 babies out there, but they are in the minority I reckon! I would say enjoy it for now and hope that when she gets to 4mths things don't change too much! We are almost at 5mths now and no sign of improvement...zzzz!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now