Talk

Advanced search

Still Bf 2.8 DD old bit unsettled that she is giving a running commentary

(22 Posts)
Davidsmom Wed 05-Oct-11 23:45:32

Errr please dont flame me. Not sure what advice I want but am bf my 2.8 DD (morning and bedtime only) Didnt intend to be at this stage but still works for us at the moment. She does go without with no complaints.

Its just that she is getting quite chatty and almost gives a running commentary while feeding e.g. feed, feed.. this ones broken need other boobie mummy. No mummy not that one its not working. Mmmm this ones working now.

I fed my son til 15 months so this is uncharted territory but I am occasionally feeling a bit strange that I am feeding a child that is older and who is actually discussing it.

Perhaps its time to give it up (I'm sure some will say well past) but just wondered if anyone else gets this as I dont know anyone else who is feeding at this age.

Midori1999 Wed 05-Oct-11 23:53:48

I haven't BF for anywhere near that long, though hope to. I have seen other threads here though where ladies are BF talking children who seem quite chatty, so I assume it's quite common.

Davidsmom Thu 06-Oct-11 00:00:53

Thanks for reply. thats reassuring

will check through the old threads.

Didnt expect to feed DS as long as 15 months due to lots of problems but it eventually worked out then just came to a gradual natural end. DD is very different and shows no sign of stopping.

AngelDog Thu 06-Oct-11 09:19:47

I think it's very normal and you should only consider giving up if you really want to.

My 21 m.o. is very chatty while feeding, although usually about what song he wants me to sing while he feeds (and complaining that I'm not getting the words right! hmm)

There was a nice thread about it here and there were lots of longer term bf'ers on this thread.

If you want to find people feeding toddlers IRL you could see if there's a LLL group meeting near you.

I enjoyed reading Mothering Your Nursing Toddler which is published by LLL. It discussing bf'ing at ages 1, 2, 3 and 4+.

AngelDog Thu 06-Oct-11 09:20:18

Oh, and I think it's brill that you're still feeding - you're doing a great job.

tiktok Thu 06-Oct-11 09:29:38

Aw, that is so cute, davidsmom smile

Bf is important to your dd and is a lovely connection with you.

Of course she talks about it smile

sc2987 Thu 06-Oct-11 09:32:00

This is the one you want: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/breast_and_bottle_feeding/1220174-Is-there-an-extended-breastfeeding-support-thread/AllOnOnePage

sc2987 Thu 06-Oct-11 09:32:24

Oh, should refresh before posting!

EauRouge Thu 06-Oct-11 09:37:56

Hello, I'm BF my DD1 who is 3 next week! So either we are both odd or both normal. You decide grin

She often says things about my breasts, it's quite sweet (apart from when she complains that there's a bit of hair angry it's her hair, honest!) This is a lovely book, it seems to be expensive for some reason but if you have a LLL group near you then you might be able to borrow a copy.

I go to LLL and I've met loads of people that are BF toddlers and pre-schoolers, it feels very normal and it's nice to share funny stories about things your DCs have done while feeding. You can find UK groups here.

witchwithallthetrimmings Thu 06-Oct-11 09:47:55

my dd who is about the same age does this too. Half of me thinks its lovely but the other half is a bit uncomfortable. She is getting v.independent in all sorts of ways wanting to dress herself, pour her own juice etc. and also get my norks out and put them away afterwards!. Again some of me thinks this is lovely and some of me thinks it a bit weird. I know which part is right but i cannot tell the daily mail side to go away, maybe we could send them away together! smile

TruthSweet Thu 06-Oct-11 09:50:36

The thing is they do a running commentary on EVERYTHING they do from eating their cereal to walking down the street ('Mummy why is that man fat, is he having a baby, oh look at that funny hat, I like funny hats, can I run now?, is it time for dinner yet? when can I go to school? I like bananas they are great, are we going to the library.....'ad nauseum)

It's like a stream of consciousness experiment or their internal dialogue has broken and it's now an external dialogue grin

Nothing weird or unusual, in fact if they never mentioned bfing that would be stranger (though not abnormal - there must be some external dialogue children out there [I want one])

EauRouge Thu 06-Oct-11 10:07:44

Argh, the toddler running commentary grin

I forgot to put in my post that it's totally normal to have mixed feelings. Some days (like today when DD1 has been saying 'I want some booby' constantly for 2 hours now) I wish she would cut down. But then when I think about her weaning I get all teary. It's OK to have off days or moments where you wish they would bog off and leave you alone for 10 minutes.

yawningmonster Thu 06-Oct-11 10:50:13

dd is 29 months and was until a couple of weeks ago down to one feed in the morning. I have started skipping a day here and there in an attempt to slowly wean her because I was having two minds over it. I don't really enjoy bfeeding at the best of times but have been really glad to give her a good start and enrich the closeness of our relationship. The other half of me is mighty put off by a recent conversation had with a very panic stricken dh...
Mummy's boobies nice daddy?, You like them daddy? Bo (pet name of dd) like them, Share them ifyalike (if you like) daddy? Bo this one, daddy dat one....oh (DS) no boobie....ds have you one daddy ok? Poor daddy no mummy boobie never never me ds ever ever nice nice boobies. !!!!!!

TruthSweet Thu 06-Oct-11 11:35:55

yawning - a pre-verbal DD1 offered my 'bahs' to one of my childless friends much to her horror (luckily she just gestured towards them much like a maitre'd showing you to a table rather than popped one out but still).

Still makes me laugh and DD1 is in Y1 now.

wigglybeezer Thu 06-Oct-11 11:49:11

When DS3 was about 2 and a half he stayed the night at my mothers, he got into bed with Granny in the morning and attempted to pull her nighty up saying "Booby time Granny". luckily my mum found it funny (good job it wasn't MIL!) but I started to wean him gradually after that.

Trillian42 Thu 06-Oct-11 11:54:23

DD is only 16 mths but has started babbling away in the middle of a feed and pointing to my nipples. I'm also having mixed feelings (though I know it's early by comparison with you all!) so reading this has me both oohing and aahing at the cuteness and stressing that I'll be dealing with it in a years time.

waspandbee Thu 06-Oct-11 19:18:10

Even at 9 months, DS pulls off during a feed, pokes my nipple and giggles, then looks up at me grinning before latching back on grin

I take it as a massive compliment!

Davidsmom Thu 06-Oct-11 21:58:08

Oh thank you all for the replies I havent laughed so much in ages.smile

Witch- I like that "the daily mail side" maybe I've got one of those too. shock

Yawning- I suspect that mine will be saying something similar soon she is quite funny but I laughed so much at your DD's comments!.

I have been to a LLL meeting but when she was 1. I keep meaning to go back but there always seems to be something on.

sc- I'll have a look at that link, thanks.

and thanks to everyone else for taking the time to reply.

I must say I was always the "when they can ask for it that will be the day I'll stop" type but it just never quite happened. Noone else I know still feeds at this age and presumed things would come to a natural end eventually. Have even had a few days away from DD and thought that would be it but no.

I do enjoy the closeness its lovely.

lizzytee Thu 06-Oct-11 22:31:29

Love this thread. I'm feeding DD2 at 2.5 years. She's not as chatty as your LO but very clear about "Mah" being high on the list of favourite things. My Daily Mail side is relieved that it doesn't sound remotely like bitty biscuit

As for stopping "when they can ask for it".........well a newborn baby can very clearly ask for a feed, so where's the difference? But I would like DD2 to let go when asked rather than arguing about it......

Davidsmom Thu 06-Oct-11 22:56:41

Hi Lizzytree,

Yes I'm glad theres no "bittyish" sounding names so far...

Think I'm now in the when she can put in writing I'll stop rather than when they can ask for it camp blush

organiccarrotcake Fri 07-Oct-11 10:40:28

"Even at 9 months, DS pulls off during a feed, pokes my nipple and giggles, then looks up at me grinning before latching back on grin"

AWWW!! And this is as much "talking" as saying, "I love boobies!"

davidsmom "put it in writing" PLEASE can I use that? That's a FAB phrase!!! You're doing a wonderful thing and you are sooo not alone. It can feel like that but what's nice is that when you talk about it, so many others come out of the woodwork smile

LLL do toddler groups which is really nice. I went to one at a year when I was feeling a bit alone, and there were ladies feeding 4YOs so I felt like my nursling was a newborn in comparison grin. Also got loads of reassurance about how self weaning works, and so on.

BaronessBomburst Fri 07-Oct-11 23:21:42

My DS calls it 'titty" and shrieks for it anywhere and everywhere. I'm trying to teach him to say 'milk' but I fear the damage is done. It's DH's fault. sad

My mother stayed with us recently and DS would toddle in to her in the mornings. He is 19 months. One morning he caught her putting her bra on, gave a huge grin, laughed, nodded excitedly, and did a little dance. My mum says it's been years since someone appreciated her breasts that much - she's 61. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now