Talk

Advanced search

making up bottles of formula in advance

(4 Posts)
eskimofriends Wed 05-Oct-11 18:04:18

I have a quick question: is it really so bad to make up a day's worth of formula bottles, store them in the fridge and warm them up when needed? I've been making up bottles of formula for my twins (now 5 months) as/when they've needed them with freshly boiled and cooled water - which is the current advice - but tbh it's a right palaver! They were born at 33 weeks so I've been keen to do things 'properly' til now. But they are thriving, growing well and even showing signs of being ready for solids. Making up bottles in advance would massively help me look after them (basically I'm keen to grab anything that shaves time off every day jobs!) so to repeat the question, is it really really so bad to make them up in advance. And if not - a couple more quick questions - firstly, why not? and secondly, how come it was fine with my 14 year old - what's changed?
thanks in advance for advice/insight etc....

tiktok Wed 05-Oct-11 18:12:26

The key to safe formula making up is to ensure the water is boiled but still hot - no cooler than 70 deg C - when it hits the powder.

Thereafter, it is an accepted compromise with babies beyond newborn (as yours are) and not especially vulnerable, to store in the fridge for up to a day.

The reason for the mixing with hot is to reduce the risk of the bacteria in the powder multiplying. This was only revealed as a risk in the last eight (I think) years or so.

Once you have mixed the bottles, if you can then get them in the fridge straight away, it's an accepted 'work round' - your HV should confirm this.

eskimofriends Wed 05-Oct-11 18:41:26

thanks tiktok - i think you've just shaved half an hour off my daily to do list - vvv much appreciated smile

wigglesrock Wed 05-Oct-11 20:37:55

eskimofriends how tiktok has described is how I make mine up for mine, once they get to about 8 weeks or so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now