Talk

Advanced search

Hormone crash after suddenly stopping breastfeeding?

(6 Posts)
Ebb Wed 05-Oct-11 14:11:26

Dd suddenly went on a breastfeeding strike 2wks ago, aged 10.5mths. She was teething, had a sore throat and just quit. She's refused to take the breast since despite previously being a total boob monster. I had been planning to cut back to morning and evening at a year so I'm not totally devastated. She's not been at all stressed by it although she won't take formula or expressed milk so I have been giving her a vitamin supplement. She eats well and drinks plenty of water.

However the week she stopped feeding I seemed to get really depressed. I was was in floods of tears by the Friday ( she quit Mon AM ) and have never felt so low. It scared me tbh. I've made a Dr's appointment to have a chat about it but could it have been due to some sort of hormone crash from stopping breast feeding? I did a quick google and it seems other women have experienced similar but thought I'd ask on MN. I have been feeling happier in the last week or so. Other factors could possibly be PND, the mirena coil ( fitted in Feb ) or just the sheer lack of sleep and current stress I'm under at the moment. I got my period on the Sat and everything seemed to improve so not sure what's going on. confused

witchwithallthetrimmings Wed 05-Oct-11 14:15:07

normal, i had it too. Got better in a month. Think part of it is losing the bedtime feed, the closeness, the chance to relax and to destress about things that have made you cross during the day.

LeggyBlondeNE Wed 05-Oct-11 14:36:02

I'm so convinced this is real I want to get funding to investigate it properly! A number of women I've known with late onset PSD were post-weaning. (Not saying you'll get PSD of course!)

LeggyBlondeNE Wed 05-Oct-11 14:47:00

PND! Honestly Leggy...

Jokat Wed 05-Oct-11 15:25:34

Even when I only cut down feeds, rather than stopping alltogether, I'm sure it affected my hormone levels. I didn't feel depressed but my hair suddenly started getting really greasy within a day, while before it lasted about three days before I needed to wash it!

Ebb Wed 05-Oct-11 16:06:22

Thank you everyone. thanks The Dr said it was highly likely that suddenly stopping breastfeeding would affect my hormones. She also said the Mirena doesn't agree with everyone so to keep an eye on things. I've said I'll keep a diary and see if there's any patterns in my mood swings but hopefully it's over now. It's good to hear it's totally normal though and also nice to have a sympathetic, supportive Doctor! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now