Talk

Advanced search

remind me that this too will pass

(9 Posts)
bebemoo Tue 04-Oct-11 18:01:47

7wk old fussy and screams while feeding (coming on and off because of fast flow from the breast). sad She's feeding every hour (I'm assuming because she's not getting enough before she's too frustrated to continue drinking). I've tried all the techniques and tried to reduce my supply by block feeding to help. But it's not happening; it's the waiting game until she manages to get used to it enough to cope.
She's gaining weight, though has green poos, so I know I shouldn't worry too much. It's just utterly frustrating and difficult to cope with when I'm not getting much sleep.

twotesttickles Tue 04-Oct-11 18:24:31

It will pass. I promise you it will. I can scarcely remember the hellish first few months. But I know they happened. Good times are ahead. Rest when you can and remind yourself what a fab job you are doing breastfeeding her. smile

TheBluthCompany Tue 04-Oct-11 18:25:08

Have you spoken to a bf counselor? I would have thought block feeding should work, how long have you tried it for, and how many hours do you do on each side?

Hang on in there, it will get better!

bebemoo Tue 04-Oct-11 18:35:54

6 hours per side. Block feeding for abt 5 or 6 days, not long I know... I swear things have got worse rather than better. Both breasts are back to being 'jammed' all the time. Bf support leader has offered nothing more except to suggest I express and feed from bottle. Expressing with pump doesn't work well with me and hand expressing while working seems to make my milk production soar, but I've had to do it a little every feed to relieve the boulder breast which I'm not using...

TheBluthCompany Tue 04-Oct-11 18:42:52

You could try block feeding for longer, I have heard some women need to do it for 12 hours to get a reduction. It should take a couple of days to work (I think), and going up that high you have to be careful about reducing supply too much!

Try feeding leaning right back or lying down. And of course only express as much as you absolutely need to. Sounds a bit strange to advise feeding from a bottle, but then I'm not an expert.

bebemoo Tue 04-Oct-11 18:53:53

Yeah tried laying down, just as much trouble for lo. sad

Worried about going up past 6 hours at this point though I was thinking about 8 (trying not to go longer than a long 'sleep' would be because I don't want to 'ruin' things)

Was talking to my Mom and she said she had fast flow (not really oversupply in her opinion as her breasts often weren't heavy/full) and she 'drowned' us girls for the first 3months. Kinda thinking that's what we've got here too. I wasn't engorged until I started block feeding.

TheBluthCompany Tue 04-Oct-11 20:18:28

Hopefully it will settle down, 7 weeks is still very early. And block feeding foer longer might not be advisable when she is still so young. But I would maybe have a chat with a (different) bf counselor just to see what they say. It could even be something like the hot weather upping your supply??

Hope it settles down!

BenRoo Tue 04-Oct-11 20:46:46

This too shall pass bebemoo.
I had this problem and ,like a pp has already said, it's a distant memory now.
I just kept feeding through it until we found our own harmony grin
Sounds like your doing brilliantly.
Keep on going Mumma wink

bebemoo Wed 05-Oct-11 08:28:42

Thanks ladies. After a sleep strike until 1 she slept 5 hours this morning AND fed lovely when she woke up. Hopefully we've turned a corner. Either way I'm feeling better having had more sleep. smile
It may well have been the change in weather which affected us and caused a bit of a set back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now