Talk

Advanced search

Best Beaker for a 5 month old bottle-refusenik?

(7 Posts)
BogoPogo Tue 04-Oct-11 10:21:59

Hello

DD2 is 5 months and has real trouble bottle feeding (she has a high palate, slight tongue tie and a strong tongue thrust reflex) so I think we're going to have to move straight onto a beaker (back to work in 3 weeks time!). She can sort-of feed from a NUK bottle, but its a very messy process.

Does anyone have any recommendations for soft spout beakers suitable for younger babies?

thank you!

fraktious Tue 04-Oct-11 10:25:38

Avent do one from 3months smile

lilham Tue 04-Oct-11 12:33:56

When you say she is a bottle refuser will she tolerate a teat in her mouth? Or she just won't suck?

If she doesn't know how to suck then you can try a free flow cup (I have a tommee tippee one) or a doidy cup. If she just doesn't like you feeding her, you can fit a teat onto tommee tippee first sip. My DD will happily put this in her mouth herself, but formula drips down like a stream down her chingrin

BogoPogo Tue 04-Oct-11 13:59:30

She will tolerate the NUK teat in her mouth (not so keen on a Tommee Tippee one) but doesn't seem to know how to suck - she just pushes it around with her tongue while we both get soaked with milk. We have been trying since she was 4 weeks - she is better some days than others. DD1 had no probs, so its sooo frustrating (DH really misses being able to share the feeding)

I think i have a Doidy cup somewhere, will give that a go, and if not try out the First Sip - can you put any teat on it, or just a Tommee Tippee?

lilham Tue 04-Oct-11 15:17:54

The first sip only takes tommee tippee teats. I think Avent has something similar. Probably NUK too? Basically it's just a bottle with handles so the baby can feed themselves iyswim?

mousymouse Tue 04-Oct-11 15:23:48

avent magic cup have a soft spout from 3 months. worked for both mine.

BogoPogo Tue 04-Oct-11 20:38:29

Thank you all - I shall go and have a rummage in Boots and see if they have the Avent magic cup or TT First sip. Wish me luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now