Talk

Advanced search

Hungry baby milk?

(12 Posts)
Moodykat Mon 03-Oct-11 21:04:32

Hi
Sorry if this has been done to death but the iphone search confuses me! My DS2 is 10 weeks old and bottle fed all day and was bf at night but have now switched as he was waking every hour!
He now has 6 bottles of 6ozs during the day and 1 at night, making 42ozs a day and he is still finding it hard to go for more than an hour! This seems a bit mad so have made up hungry baby milk for tomorrow...do you wise mums think this may work?!
TIA

Moodykat Mon 03-Oct-11 22:06:22

Bumping in hope!

MoaningMinnieWhingesAgain Mon 03-Oct-11 22:10:18

7 feeds a day totally normal at that age, it doesn't contain more calories it's just harder to digest - what are you hoping it will do?

I would probably try adding another feed or two of standard milk or increasing the amount per feed first, keep it as a last resort really.

Moodykat Mon 03-Oct-11 22:58:58

I was just hoping it might stop him needing extra milk as I was worried about him getting too fat if he had more than he's having! I used to get told off by HV that DS1 was too chubby so am perhaps a bit too paranoid about it this time round!

buttonmoon78 Mon 03-Oct-11 23:24:54

What is his weight? That's the most important factor - not his age.

The recommended amount is 120-180ml per kg per day (according to our gastro paed). Therefore my boy is 'allowed' to have between 27oz and 41oz per day and still be considered 'normal'. He is 6.8kg and 11wks old. He was on 91st centile at birth but is on 75th centile now so if anyone says he's a big boy I remind them of his birth weight.

We're still on 7 feeds a day here too at least. DS has reflux so can't take more than 5oz per feed or he just sicks it up so I just go with it. Often he has less and will want more sooner. I just thing that if he was still bf he wouldn't be consuming the same amount each feed so I let him tell me when he's had enough and when he wants more.

GreenMonkies Mon 03-Oct-11 23:34:51

Waking a lot at night is normal baby sleep pattern, it's not natural or normal for small babies to sleep all night.

Hungry baby milk is just the same as normal formula, but it made from less digestible proteins so they feel full for longer.

A babies stomach is the size of his clenched fist, so 6oz per feed is a huge amount to be giving him in one go. Perhaps you could give him smaller bottles more frequently, both mine were feeding (breastfed) every 90 minutes or so at this age, it's not a bad thing, it's normal.

Hungry baby milk may make him go longer between feeds, but he's still very young and should be feeding little and often, not huge bottles every 4 hours.

tiktok Mon 03-Oct-11 23:52:19

It does sound as if your baby might be better and happier taking smaller amounts more often, moodykat - is this something you could ask your HV about?

If he is wanting to feed more often than he is actually getting the milk, then it must be hard work for both of you sad

Moodykat Tue 04-Oct-11 04:55:31

He just wouldn't be happier taking smaller amounts! Today he guzzled his bottle and then cried and fussed until I gave him another bottle, of which he drank 2 ozs! I don't actually know what he weighs but will phone the HV today! FWIW, he has just woken for the first time tonight and had one boob and fallen back asleep!

TanteRose Tue 04-Oct-11 05:15:58

if you can keep up with the breasfeeding for a while, it is surely going to be easier to whip out a boob than make a bottle up!

He will also like the comfort of sucking - he is still soooo tiny! don't expect too much of the little fella smile

GreenMonkies Tue 04-Oct-11 13:12:52

I agree with Tante, revert back to boob, much easier and healthier for both of you.

WinterLover Tue 04-Oct-11 15:11:22

My DS is 10 weeks old (5kg) hes feeding 2-4oz about 10 times a day/night. My HV says some babies just prefer little and often.

wigglesrock Tue 04-Oct-11 18:49:22

If its any help my formula fed babies all fed very often at this age, they tended to cluster feed quite a bit as well especially in the late afternoon. They were all formula fed on demand and often they took a bottle and then wanted a little bit more. I tried hungry baby milk with dd2 in the vain hope that it would help her sleep (she hated sleeping!) it made absolutely no difference at all, so haven't bothered with it for dd3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now