Talk

Advanced search

Stress and Breastfeeding

(5 Posts)
Fantail Mon 03-Oct-11 18:43:40

How much can sudden and perhaps prolonged stress affect your supply. I am very happily feeding my 7 month old. She has between 4 really good feeds a day, one during the night and sometimes a couple of short ones if she is particularly cranky/sleepy/teething etc. I started solids at 5 1/2 months as she displayed all the signs of readiness and I introduced finger foods at 6 months and we are happily doing a combination of both spoonfeeding and self-feeding (the days of having my own food is over).

My husband was suddenly taken into hospital on Saturday night. There is no diagnosis yet and as well as that we don't have any family to look after DD - we are expats- so am relying on friends to help when they can. On top of this, we are moving countries in a months time, so I we are meant to be packing etc. So obviously this is placing me under a great deal of stress.

I am trying to eat well and get sleep and keep drinking and taking some exercise. Is there anything else I can do?

To top everything else off, my period came back today and I am wondering if this is related too.

TheBluthCompany Mon 03-Oct-11 19:21:23

So sorry you're going through this sad.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon, but as I understand it, stress shouldn't effect your milk supply - women feed in war zones after all. There's more info [[http://www.llli.org/nb/nbnovdec01p204.html here].

Make sure you take things as easy as you can. Are there any friends who can help? Can you get in professionals to pack up all your stuff??

Hope your DH is ok.

TheBluthCompany Mon 03-Oct-11 19:21:50

sorry here

Cakebunny Mon 03-Oct-11 21:13:28

Sounds like you're doing the best you can under such stressful circumstances.

Just keep going, and you should be ok I don't think stress affects breastfeeding supplies. I've been having stress (quite minor in comparison!) for a while now and it's not altered. Hormones are returning to pre-pregancy levels methinks...hair dropping out and PMT...

Periods are set to return between 6-9months for many breastfeeding women, so it may be a coincidence (flipping typical tho-just what you need!)

Good luck hope he gets better soon

p.s your LO sounds like my 6.5 month old, starving at 5.5months and mixing spoon and finger foods & similar feeds.

Fantail Tue 04-Oct-11 08:38:43

Thank you so much for your advice and support. Good to know that I have one less thing to think about.

We do have friends who can help out, but they are mostly childless and work full time. One friend did take some time off work yesterday to watch DD (who was delighted to see someone new). I am hoping to take her up to the hospital today to see her Dad as he has been moved. Hopefully they will let me in outside the stupidly restrictive visiting hours of 3pm - 8pm. DD goes to bed at 6.30pm and me feeding her is part of our routine and something she visibly enjoys so I don't want to mess with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now