Talk

Advanced search

Day and night mixed up bf baby, 4 wks old, any tips?

(8 Posts)
Needsomewine Mon 03-Oct-11 08:55:00

dd2 is just over 4 weeks old and was incredibly sleepy for the first 2-3 weeks. She is becoming more wakeful now and feeding a bit better, ie not falling asleep so much. But the last 2 nights have been horrendous. She is cluster feeding for 3 or 4 hrs in the evening which I can deal with but she then wakes around 12 to 1am and will not settle for more than 15 mins until 4 or 5am. I can't sustain this as have dd1 to think about but have to spend part of the day catching up on sleep. At night, I switch her between breasts quite a lot and she feeds well for 3 mins or so then falls asleep, and repeat... I try to keep waking her a few times so that she feeds more and then even when she seems in a deep sleep, it's only for 10 or 15 mins! Please help, any tips?

Needsomewine Mon 03-Oct-11 16:52:31

She has been asleep pretty much all day apart from 40 mins. That was predictable I guess sad. I have tried to wake her up every 2 hours to see if I can get more milk into her in the daytime. But tbh she is too tired to feed very well.

I am so tired. How do I get out of this cycle? I am usually anti co-sleeping but might have to resort to that tonight sad

EauRouge Mon 03-Oct-11 17:24:35

I think it's pretty normal at this age to not know the difference between day and night. When you say she doesn't settle, are you putting her in a cot/moses basket and then she's waking up? Is she healthy and gaining weight?

Do you mind if I ask why you are anti co-sleeping? I know some people don't like it but for others it is the only way they get any sleep. If you are worried about safety then there are some good tips here. Do you have space for a sidecar cot as an alternative?

Needsomewine Mon 03-Oct-11 18:27:53

Yes she's in a basket and will either wake as I try and put her in or after 10/15 mins.

Anti co-sleeping because of the safety reasons but I did do it with dd1 when I was desperate. I will read the link thank you.

whackamole Mon 03-Oct-11 19:35:32

I think it is normal. I remember posting when my boys were about that age as I just couldn't get them to stay awake - during the day that is!

OH and I found the only way to make them sleep at night was to co-sleep - it wasn't something we had considered before they were born but it was the only thing that saved our sanity. Once they hit about 6 weeks, I'd had enough and put them back into their moses baskets and they settled down fine.

Needsomewine Mon 03-Oct-11 19:51:09

Ok, thanks. Am kinda fine to go with if it didn't lead to complete exhaustion. I will try her in with us if she is awake for more than 2 hrs in the night in one stint.

unfitmother Mon 03-Oct-11 20:04:15

DD was like that, I called her my Australian baby.
I couldn't sleep when she did as DS was a toddler and couldn't get exhausted as I have epilepsy.
I resorted to GF (not completly) and cracked it, she was sleeping through by 6 weeks.

Needsomewine Mon 03-Oct-11 22:08:44

Really? Tips pleasesmile. Can't settle dd tonight even so goodness knows what she'll be like in the night. Dreading it. She is posseting loads tonight so I wonder if it's the start of colic sad. Will look out my copy of GF in the morning...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now