Talk

Advanced search

Help!!! Itchy bites driving me MAD! What can I put on them while breastfeeding?

(5 Posts)
MamaMia100 Sun 02-Oct-11 21:58:58

Covered in extremely itchy bites - not sure if they're mozzie bites or something else (midge??) - live in London so not sure what they could be. I put anthisan on last night which really helped but pack says not to use if bf and consensus (from Internet research) seems to be that safety not established but animal studies show adverse fx in fetus in preg, so not sure if I can use it. Does anyone know if anthisan is ok, and if not are there any other bf-friendly remedies? They're totally
stopping me sleeping and with a toddler and newborn I need all the sleep I can get! TIA

beararse Sun 02-Oct-11 22:03:45

This should give you some helpful information

A topical treatment would IMO be fine, because so little of it would even get into your bloodstream. But I am happy to take antihistamines most days due to allergies, and have done so while BFing two children.

YougreatPamplemousse Sun 02-Oct-11 22:04:44

Lavander oil is great on bug bites. Soothes them and stops itching.

MamaMia100 Mon 03-Oct-11 22:31:05

Thank you both! Very helpful smile

I thought lavender wasn't recommended for bf mothers?? Is there nothing that is safe? I agree that topical use probably ok but feel nervous using it when it says safely in bf mothers has not been established. On the other hand, these bites are driving me nuts!

WombOnTheBroom Tue 04-Oct-11 12:58:23

I use aloe vera gel which afaik is okay? Or WitchDoctor gel. Neither are as good as anthisan but do give some relief.

Hadn't heard that topical use of lavender oil is bad... MW recommended it to me to add to bath water to help with stitches etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now