Talk

Advanced search

Soya Milk & Combine feeding

(4 Posts)
hiss42 Sun 02-Oct-11 20:56:15

DS is 6 weeks. He is a BIG feeder and I've decided to introduce one formula bottle at around 10pm in order to get a bit of sleep, since with just breast milk he is still waking every hour and a half at night. He has had the odd carton when I've been in agony from thrush so I know he's fine with a bottle and hopefully it will give him a one slightly longer period of sleep.

When in ASDA today I saw SMA Wysoy, which is a non-dairy formula for dairy intollerant babies. One of the main reasons for us breastfeeding is to avoid animal products, but I really need that one bottle to give me a break. Is it suitable for combine feeding for a baby who is fine with cows milk? Or is it specifically for those who can't tollerate it?

RitaMorgan Sun 02-Oct-11 21:29:15

I know some people are reluctant to give babies soy milk, especially boys, but I don't know that much about the health concerns about it. No reason not to give it to a child without dairy intolerances though - I know vegans who have used soy formula.

MrsJamesMartin Sun 02-Oct-11 21:34:36

Soy formula is not recommended for babies under 6 months due the phytoestrogens that are present in it.

Could you express over the day to get a big feed to give at this time if you want to avoid giving regular formula?

sc2987 Sun 02-Oct-11 23:24:54

There is no vegan soya formula in the UK (it contains animal-derived vitamin D). And agree with the expressing. Or co-sleep, research shows breastfeeding co-sleeping mothers get most sleep even though the babies feed more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now