Talk

Advanced search

Mastitis

(3 Posts)
startwig1982 Fri 30-Sep-11 18:38:33

I know there are a few threads on this but can't find the answer to my question. I developed mastitis overnight and was very shivery this morning. I also threw up and had a very sore boob. DS has been going through the night since 6 weeks and is now 16 weeks. I took paracetemol this morning and felt much better. I'm feeding every 2 hours and massaging the lump. However, I started to feel worse so went to the gp, who prescribed amoxicillan. I've already had one and plan to have another at bedtime. So my question is (sorry for the long post) what do I do during the night? Do I just sleep or should I be feeding every 2 hours? All advice appreciated!!

DrSeuss Fri 30-Sep-11 19:31:09

You must pump from that side as often as possible. If you can actually feed from it you're doing better than I ever did!

Did they give you five days or ten of the pills? Five never worked for me, I had two further recurrences.

Poor you! Mastitis is an absolute bastard! Get well soon.

mummynoseynora Fri 30-Sep-11 19:38:44

poor you - I had a bitch of mastitis which took far too long to get rid of! The thing that sorted it for me was clearing the blockage... that is imperative - if you don't the infection will just come back

by 'massaging the breast' what I actually had to do was more along the lines of deep tissue sports massage. starting from the outside of the breast pressing as firmly as I could and pushing all the way to the middle - I did this after dangling the breast into a sink of the hottest water I could bear...

I had mastitis for more than a week before a doctor (the third I had seen) basically did that type of massage whilst checking in case it had formed an abscess, I went home soaked the breast and did it again... within an hour I was starting to feel more normal

hope you are starting to feel better soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now