Talk

Advanced search

DD 14MO and b/feeding now foot-stampingly painful. Need to wean immediately, but how?

(8 Posts)
SlinkingOutsideInSocks Fri 30-Sep-11 06:56:03

She was very slow to get teeth - basically had two until her first birthday but now they're coming through at a rate of knots, and she doesn't seem to feed with her lips over her teeth. I want to scream with the pain, especially on the first boob that she feeds from - it is agony for the duration of the feed.

She has always been exclusively breastfed, and has drunk cow's milk from a cup since nearly one.

I don't really want to introduce a bottle, but I honestly think I'm ready to give up b/feeding fully now - we've both had a good innings.

Any tips for weaning at 14 months would be much appreciated. smile

EauRouge Fri 30-Sep-11 09:09:28

Have they only just come through? I found it took a while for my DD1 to adjust her latch when she got new teeth through so this probably won't last.

If you do want to wean then first give yourself a pat on the back because 14 months is, as you say, a good innings grin It might be worth talking to a BF counsellor so that you can figure out a plan that will be nice and gentle for you and your DD.

Having never done it myself I can't offer you any personal insight but there are some ideas here that you might find helpful smile

bakingmum2many Fri 30-Sep-11 09:12:59

OUCH!

Congratulations on breast feeding for so long, absolutely no reason for you to introduce the bottle at this age. You don't say how often you are feeding her I would cut out a feed every 2 days or so to give you both a chance to adjust, offer her a cup of milk in its place maybe at the table whilst you have a cuppa rather than cuddling up as she might twig something is missing ie boob!but don't worry if she doesn't take as much from a cup as she will be getting milk from her food now. All my children weaned themselves naturally but I still felt a bit sad about it bit emotional whichever way you stop breast feeding I think!

SlinkingOutsideInSocks Fri 30-Sep-11 18:56:05

Thanks both. smile

She's just down to two feeds now - first and last thing, so it's more than just dropping the feed; it's the cuddles and comfort, and also the routine at night time as well.

I will check out that link you sent Rouge. I don't want to upset her, o,us we're moving in 3 weeks so maybe it's not the best time. The feeds just hurt so much, though!

TruthSweet Fri 30-Sep-11 19:47:58

Just to roll out the old chestnut - could you be pg? Or due on/ovulating?

Ruth1234 Sat 01-Oct-11 15:44:26

If you are wanting to give up bf now, it sounds like a good time to do it. If you are feeling you have to give it up because of the teeth, I found it became a lot less painful once dd's top teeth were through fully and she had got used to using her new gnashers - she figured out how to feed without biting me (often!) I sympathise though!

SlinkingOutsideInSocks Mon 03-Oct-11 06:56:54

Hmm, got my period 2 day ago!

It's actually got noticeably better. Not perfect, but nowhere near as painful.

I should know by now (I fed DS until 13 months of age) that just as you think a b/feeding problem is insurmountable, it rights itself!

I think I will wait to wean her after we've moved and she's settled.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice. smile

ArthurPewty Mon 03-Oct-11 07:33:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now