Talk

Advanced search

Breast feeding with history of Milk allergy in DC1

(5 Posts)
Allboxedin Thu 29-Sep-11 21:08:49

Ok, I am still not too sure about all this.
I BF dd for a couple of weeks or so last time and switched to formula as it wasn't working out for either of us for different reasons.
Anyway DD was found to have a milk allergy amongst other things when she started weaning at about 3 months and was put on prescription milk (Nutramigen) until about 12 months when she grew out of it.
My question is could the problems I had with BF been because of this allergy (I didn't know early on and was still eating/drinking normal dairy)
....and if you have a child with a dairy allergy should you be cutting it out of your own diet or not?
Her allergies have been pretty nasty and she has been in A and E on several occasions with swelling,trouble breathing and anaphylaxis. She also had nasty eczema up until about 12 months.

Allboxedin Thu 29-Sep-11 21:10:00

Sorry anyway my question is that should I be wary of breast feeding DC2 (Due in October) Should I cut out the dairy in my own diet or not?

trixymalixy Thu 29-Sep-11 21:12:21

I had problems bfing DS because he was reacting to the milk proteins in my breastmilk. He would feed for 10mins then pull off screaming and then be hungry again an hour later. I was exhausted. It was solved by me cutting out dairy once we realised he had a dairy allergy.

Allboxedin Thu 29-Sep-11 21:25:07

Trixy, do you have any other DC's that followed suit?
I do wonder now if that is why I had problems feeding or at least in part.

trixymalixy Thu 29-Sep-11 22:12:15

DD is only allergic to egg. The only time I had egg when bfing her her face went scarlet and she was upset and lo and behold when she was tested she was allergic to egg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now