Talk

Advanced search

3 day old big boobs and latch issues

(16 Posts)
mummy2l Thu 29-Sep-11 21:02:34

Had ds2 by elcs on Mon and have had trouble with latch ever since. I have big boobs with nipples that point to the side and ds has a small mouth so getting enough in has been a prob. Thought I had sorted it last night using rugby hold but today he's fed lots and latch now really hurts again. I am getting Sharp stabbing pains in my back by my shoulder blade every time he feeds now too.

Any help would be much appreciated as I really want to crack bf this time.
TIA

thisisyesterday Thu 29-Sep-11 21:07:47

hmm pain in your back mihgt just mean that you're feeding bent over a bit or just not in a great position

one thing i was advised, that helped greatly with latch was to sit up straight and comfortable.
let the breast sit normally (you can put a rolled up muslin underneath if that helped you see the nipple better if you have large breasts)
then bring him up to the breast.

you want to try and avoid having baby on your lap and then leaning onto him iyswim?

bring him up to the nipple and then allow him to latch on himself, he should bob his head about a bit and maybe shake it from side to side but he ought to be able to get there.
if you lie back a bit it may help, and keep his tummy pressed along your tummy

do you have any local breastfeeding groups?

WombOnTheBroom Thu 29-Sep-11 21:09:36

Congratulations! Are you still in hospital? Have you been able to show a midwife/breastfeeding counsellor how you're feeding (and is it someone whose advice you trust)? The latch shouldn't hurt although some people do get pain during the very first part of the feed (for me it was about 20-30 seconds) until your letdown reflex kicks in. This usually wears off after the first couple of weeks.

Also, do you have some good supportive bras (they can help with the back pain especially if you've got larger breasts). And if you're still in hospital ask for the post-natal physio to check your posture - they can help with positioning too.

mummy2l Thu 29-Sep-11 21:18:23

Thank you for the quick replies. No not in hosp as was discharged yest as they needed my bed. Had the latch checked yest by a bf c as nurses in hosp were too busy to help. Am trying to improve posture as I am slouching towards him. I don't think I'm letting him find his way to the breast himself either so will try that. My milk has only just started to come in this afternoon I think.

thisisyesterday Thu 29-Sep-11 21:19:55

have a look on youtube for biological nurturing

thisisyesterday Thu 29-Sep-11 21:22:40

or breast crawl

runningmonkey Thu 29-Sep-11 21:25:52

You sound similarly endowed to me. Learning to feed lying down really helped as did putting a cushion or rolled up blanket on my lap to stop me hunching down to lo.

Congratulations on your new baby!

thisisyesterday Thu 29-Sep-11 21:31:10

lovely breast crawl on the beginning of this vid

thisisyesterday Thu 29-Sep-11 21:32:13

but don't be put off by the one afterwards! just because you have a medicate dlabour it doesn't mean your baby will never self attach!

mummy2l Fri 30-Sep-11 08:32:36

Managed two good feeds at 12am and 3am using all your advice with positioning and one of those good feeds was lying on my side although it hurts so much with the staples but things have gone so wrong since then I as get more tired I just can't get him on right and his latch has gone so shallow. Damn these stupid big boobs just want him to be able to feed properly sad

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 30-Sep-11 09:40:35

I had to use the rugby ball hold, with pillows

I'll try to explain

I sat back on the sofa, then put the baby on I think two pillows going from the edge of the sofa to the back rather than going sideways across the sofa, to raise him, on his side, facing into my body, then latched him on

(I had EMCS too, and had help from DH/Mum to get into position for the first week or so, then once wound was on way to healing transferred to feeding lying down lots)

It's so horrid, because of the wound

Lollyheart Fri 30-Sep-11 10:16:55

I feel your pain, I have big boobs and nipples.

What saved my from leaning over him was a my brest friend pillow, it's saved my back and feeding is so much easier.
They cost a lot of money but it's worth every penny, I got mine from eBay.

thisisyesterday Fri 30-Sep-11 13:18:33

whereabouts are you mummy2l? perhaps we can find out if there is a BF group you could visit for some hands-on advice?

mummy2l Fri 30-Sep-11 22:39:23

Thanks for all your help my phone wouldn't let me reply earlier. I'm fairly near York yesterday do you think that a support group would let me take ds1 along too our would I need to find childcare for him?

Am going to try the lying down position again tonight but feel like my staples are going to come out !!

bilblio Fri 30-Sep-11 22:57:14

Have you tried expressing a bit by hand before getting him latched on. If your milk has only just come in then you might be a bit engorged and that might be why he's struggle to latch on too.
Good luck, & Congratulations!

thisisyesterday Sat 01-Oct-11 09:08:50

oh yes, it would def be fine to take ds1. i used to take all 3 of mine!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now