Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby screaming at feed times

(8 Posts)
MrsJangles Thu 29-Sep-11 20:24:32

Hi
I bottle feed my DD and the last few days she screams every time I try to feed her. She eventually does take the bottle, but initially she fights it, crying and screaming and shaking her head around. When she does take it, she often stops feeding for a bit partway through and the whole process repeats itself. I don't really understand this - once she takes it, she gulps it down so I know she is hungry. It's almost like she is suddenly afraid of it.

No previous problems feeding her - it's all come o quite suddenly.

Anyone have any experience of this?

diyvspse Thu 29-Sep-11 20:49:50

How old is she? Have you investigated reflux/silent reflux? Or is she an older baby?

MrsJangles Fri 30-Sep-11 20:26:57

She is 11 weeks. I investigated reflux a while back and don't think this is it. Any other suggestions?

thefurryone Fri 30-Sep-11 22:32:36

It could be teething. Sucking can be really painful for babies when they have sore gums.

frutilla Fri 30-Sep-11 22:40:59

Do you think she might be sucking in air? I seem to remember DS1 did this, although he was breastfed. He would be fussy about latching on, then hungry, but then stop half way through and be screaming. Continue in fits and starts. Maybe try holding her at a slightly different angle or use different flow teat? Only other thing I can think of is mouth thrush or an ulcer, or teething as thefurryone suggested...even though it's early her gums could be swollen. Could try rubbing dentinox in her gums, think it's ok after 2 months...

garliclover Fri 30-Sep-11 23:04:35

My DS did this too, though he was breastfed. He had reflux and oral thrush. 11 weeks seems a bit young to be teething. Oral thrush is also probably unlikely in your DD's case if she is bottlefed, unless she herself has been given antibiotics? You say you have already investigated reflux ... why did you discount it? It's awful when this happens, so I really sympathise

thefurryone Sat 01-Oct-11 15:15:01

It can be a bit young but my DS was showing all the signs of teething at that age, lots of hands in mouth, loads of dribble, green poos, horrendous nappy rash etc I didn't really believe my Mum or MIL both of whom said he was teething at first then bottom teeth appeared at 17 weeks!

He is mixed fed and when what we think is teething (because really with babies can you ever tell) he rubs the nipple of the bottle across his gums.

MrsJangles Mon 03-Oct-11 09:49:50

Thanks everyone. I think I'll take her to the health visitor today and have her look her mouth over to see if anything is going on there.

I didn't discount reflux, I should have been more clear. I'm pretty sure she was experiencing reflux for a while because she had all the signs, loads of spit up, and the crying was very different to how she is now - before it was definitely like she was in pain. Now she just doesn't seem to want to eat. We used baby gaviscon for a while, and gradually stopped using it and the reflux doesn't seem to have made a comeback. She doesn't spit up at all at the moment. What she is doing now is very different to the reflux signs.

I suppose this could be reflux, but I really don't think it is as her behaviour with the screaming etc, but will certainly rethink / maybe try some gaviscon again to see if this makes any difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now