Talk

Advanced search

Help...4mo ds not feeding well!!!

(12 Posts)
Justgotosleep11 Thu 29-Sep-11 20:01:00

my 16 wo ds barely takes 4-5 oz at each feed and can take up to an hour! I stopped bfing at 10 weeks as he was a really lazy eater and would constantly unlatch and I never knew how much he was taking! Since he's not feeding well through the day he still wakes frequently through the night hungry! Everyone keeps telling me to wean him, but I don't want to before 6 months due to risk of allergies etc. I don't know how to get him to take more at each feed, I changed the milk, increased teat size. But no difference! Please help!,

How is his weight?

Justgotosleep11 Thu 29-Sep-11 20:40:42

He's a big boy, 9lb 14 at birth and 16lb at 12 weeks, so no concerns there, it's just frustrating as Im sure he should be taking more than this and if he did maybe we'd all get some sleep!!

thisisyesterday Thu 29-Sep-11 20:44:51

hmm... when you were breastfeeding did you have any difficulties? when you say he would unlatch did he gradually lose it, or did he just keep opening his mouth and coming off?

does he have issues feeding from the bottle? clicking noises, dribbling milk out of his mouth?

To be honest if there are no concerns with his weight then it would follow there are no concerns with his feeding, no?

thisisyesterday Thu 29-Sep-11 21:46:54

not necessarily

ds2 was putting on a LOT of weight, but I still fo0nd it excrutiating to feed him because he was tongue tied

taking an hour to feed is a bit of a problem don't you think? I don't think that's "normal" for a 4 month old at any rate and warrants a bit of further investigation maybe?

An hours feed on a bottle here though TIY? Admittedly I have next to zero experience of bottle feeding, but surely if he is gaining OK then he doesn't necessarily need more than the 4 or 5oz he is taking?

thisisyesterday Thu 29-Sep-11 22:03:22

well it depends if gaining weight is your only concern i suppose doesn't it

Justgotosleep11 Fri 30-Sep-11 00:55:02

I see your point caveman, and I'm not concerned for ds's health at all! As mentioned previously this is a purely selfish complaint as I feel if he fed better through day he'd sleep more than 3hrs at a time over night! I'm also constantly wasting A LOT of milk, as if I made a 4oz bottle up of course that'd be the. ONE time he'd want 6 ha!
To be honest this obsession with how much he is getting is why I stopped breastfeeding! It was as if he just wasn't interested in the milk, but will be really hungry and screaming just 2-3 hrs later!! HV doesn't see any concern as healthy weight but is that all that matters? I guess maybe it is then! Thanks for the replies! If anyone else who bottle Feeds has the same experience please let me know! Is my big boy just a bit of a lazy eater?

thisisyesterday Fri 30-Sep-11 13:26:31

no, i agree that there could be a problem with his ability to get the milk out, hence all the questions in my first post...

Mampig Fri 30-Sep-11 15:07:15

Can tongue- tie affect bottle feeding?? Maybe it's that?

thisisyesterday Fri 30-Sep-11 17:53:47

mampig.. that's what i was getting at iwth my lot of questions lol, but would depend on the "symptoms" displayed i think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now