Talk

Advanced search

managing nipple sheilds in public - advice needed!

(5 Posts)
Dancingjojo Thu 29-Sep-11 16:14:09

hi

baby is only week old and due to inverted nipples can only feed with sheilds....i'm worried about leaving the house in case baby needs a feed as they are so fiddly and might be hard to keep sterile. Can anyone advise what they do?

nectarina Thu 29-Sep-11 16:44:13

I used nipple shields for the first 3 weeks or so. i just ran them under a tap and kept them in the little box it came with. it was a bit tricky but I managed it - i loved being outside for some reason after the birth so I was determined to make it work. But it was great when I weaned DD off them. I had flat nipples so could only BF at first with them, but went to see a LC who whipped them off after the first minute of feeding and then we didn't look back. Still hurt though for the first 8 weeks.

kbird Thu 29-Sep-11 16:46:26

It becomes very easy with practice, and until then you just have to drape the scarf!

Worst thing - the nipple shield fills with milk, so when bab comes off, you have to deal with a little resevoir of milk moppage...

SpannerPants Thu 29-Sep-11 16:54:24

I have mine in a little lock-n-lock box filled with milton. I can put them on without looking now (lots of night feeding in the dark!) so put it on under a muslin draped over my shoulder, then latch DS on. He doesn't like having the muslin over his head so usually pulls it off! When he's finished, I quickly pull the shield off over the breastpad that I'm putting in my bra, I can do it quickly with no mess and without flashing anyone now. It has taken a bit of practise but noone seems to notice grin

Dancingjojo Sun 02-Oct-11 17:24:36

thank you, i'll persevere!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now