Talk

Advanced search

managing nipple sheilds in public - advice needed!

(5 Posts)
Dancingjojo Thu 29-Sep-11 16:14:09

hi

baby is only week old and due to inverted nipples can only feed with sheilds....i'm worried about leaving the house in case baby needs a feed as they are so fiddly and might be hard to keep sterile. Can anyone advise what they do?

nectarina Thu 29-Sep-11 16:44:13

I used nipple shields for the first 3 weeks or so. i just ran them under a tap and kept them in the little box it came with. it was a bit tricky but I managed it - i loved being outside for some reason after the birth so I was determined to make it work. But it was great when I weaned DD off them. I had flat nipples so could only BF at first with them, but went to see a LC who whipped them off after the first minute of feeding and then we didn't look back. Still hurt though for the first 8 weeks.

kbird Thu 29-Sep-11 16:46:26

It becomes very easy with practice, and until then you just have to drape the scarf!

Worst thing - the nipple shield fills with milk, so when bab comes off, you have to deal with a little resevoir of milk moppage...

SpannerPants Thu 29-Sep-11 16:54:24

I have mine in a little lock-n-lock box filled with milton. I can put them on without looking now (lots of night feeding in the dark!) so put it on under a muslin draped over my shoulder, then latch DS on. He doesn't like having the muslin over his head so usually pulls it off! When he's finished, I quickly pull the shield off over the breastpad that I'm putting in my bra, I can do it quickly with no mess and without flashing anyone now. It has taken a bit of practise but noone seems to notice grin

Dancingjojo Sun 02-Oct-11 17:24:36

thank you, i'll persevere!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: