Talk

Advanced search

Gas/Wind

(21 Posts)
Sumi76 Thu 29-Sep-11 11:14:44

Im a new mom to a 2 week old who is suffering from gas/wind and is only breastfed. Anything I can do to ease her pain ? Any advise would be appreciated.

tiktok Thu 29-Sep-11 11:17:31

Sumi, what is making you think your baby is suffering from wind?

JustLea Thu 29-Sep-11 11:24:37

Hey..congratulations on your baby girl!

My Son had colic in his first few months, I gave him Infacol..it can be used from birth and can be put straight in to their mouth with the syringe. It definately helped to bring up his wind, calm him down and he loved the taste! When he got a bit older, I used Dentinox Colic Drops..that had to be mixed in with his bottles but it also worked wonders! Other then that there is Gripe Water but you'd have to double check the age on that as I cant remember it.

Best Wishes
x

buttonmoon78 Thu 29-Sep-11 12:43:51

When I checked in August, gripe water was 1m+.

Infacol worked nicely for us.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 29-Sep-11 13:44:17

Sumi76 what makes you think your DD is suffering?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 29-Sep-11 14:06:36

Have you read this Sumi76? Are her poos like the description?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 29-Sep-11 20:25:57

How are you getting on now OP?

Sumi76 Thu 29-Sep-11 22:07:46

Tiktok : She looks very uncomfortable, makes these weird faces and then farts.

tiktok Thu 29-Sep-11 23:13:24

Could be just normal baby stuff, Sumi - looking uncomfortable and twisting her face a bit is just what babies do, and it doesn't mean she is in pain or discomfort. She then farts - well, she's dealing with her wind just fine smile

tiktok Sun 02-Oct-11 09:20:20

Sumi - any response?

Sumi76 Sun 02-Oct-11 11:56:05

Tiktok : Started giving her Infacol before feeds and seems to settle her a bit but still i can feel her discomfort sad Its heartbreaking.

tiktok Sun 02-Oct-11 13:15:48

But how do you know she is actually in discomfort?

Zara75 Mon 03-Oct-11 11:39:10

Hi Sumi76, I guess a mother just knows when her baby is not well..
maybe give neuners organic baby stomach ease tea a try. it will help to relieve wind plus it is also calming and relaxing.

it was our life saver and my dd, now 3, still drinks it when she feels unwell and has tummy pain.

all the best.

tiktok Mon 03-Oct-11 12:10:47

Zara, I don't think it's always the case that a mother 'just knows'....honest! Sometimes, babies are a mystery. They can writhe and wriggle and grimace and be just fine - Sumi has not really explained why she is absolutely sure her baby is in pain.

Sumi76 Mon 03-Oct-11 13:46:52

tiktok : she hasnt pooped whole of yest and her face turns red every time she tries to pass gas but nothing comes out sad

tiktok Mon 03-Oct-11 14:08:38

Sorry, Sumi, I sound as if I am contradicting you all the time, but a red face and some straining, and no poo for a day, is not a sign of anything wrong....or pain.

Babies do go red, and they do seem to strain, but they are not in pain.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 03-Oct-11 18:01:21

Sumi76 agree with tiktok from what you've said so far it all seems pretty normal and nothing to worry about.

Passing wind and stools is a new sensation for her. Most babies will strain and go red. As long as the poos aren't hard or the baby is crying there isn't usually a problem.

There is some info here on poo. While it mainly talks about the first week it does say this:

"Breastfed babies may go many days without producing any poo at all – that’s normal, too. As long as your baby is growing well, and the poo he produces is soft, you don’t need to be worried."

Sumi76 Tue 04-Oct-11 19:57:02

Thanks tiktok and jjj

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 04-Oct-11 20:02:50

How are you getting on today Sumi? Are you still worried or has tiktok managed to reassure you?

Are you going along to any Bfing Support Groups yet? Just wondered as it can be really helpful to go along each week, have a cuppa and a chat and you usually get to realise that all the little things that you have been worrying about are being done by all the other babies in the room too smile

Sumi76 Wed 05-Oct-11 21:06:57

jjj : she had a runny poo whole day today so took her to the gp who said she did have an upset tummy and suggested infacol before a feed. guess mothers instinct was right after all !

tiktok Wed 05-Oct-11 21:51:22

Occasional runny poo is normal - wonder why your GP thought it indicated upset tum? Infacol is not a treatment, or a preventive, for upset tum.
Sorry, Sumi - of course your doctor could well be right, but nothing you have said here has indicated illness or pain in your baby.

Hope all goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now