Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

4 month sleep regression or hunger??

(16 Posts)
ScaryFairy28 Thu 29-Sep-11 08:51:14

My 4 month old DD has previously been an amazing sleeper 8-8 from 10 weeks old. She has now started waking through the night for feeds at 2 and 5 and needing her dummy put back in at 11. She is a reasonably big baby over 14lb and not 5 months for another 2 weeks. I had wanted to hold off with weaning until 6 months to do BLW. When does the 4 month sleep regression finish? I know this isnt as bad as some people have it but its just out of character for DD. 

ScaryFairy28 Thu 29-Sep-11 09:05:59

Also it started the night after I moved her into her own room.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 29-Sep-11 10:07:21

Scary it could just be that she's waking up and missing you now she's in her own room.

Don't think that weaning her will solve any of your problems as a bit of apple puree isn't going to have anything like the calories she would get if she had milk instead. Plus, she may have problems digesting the food as she's so young then you may be up with her in the night anyway if she gets tummy ache. There is some info here on why its best to wait until 6 months.

I don't think that the fact she is big is an issue either, she wouldn't have got that big if she hadn't been fed properly upto now.

Is she feeding normally during the day and is she teething?

ScaryFairy28 Thu 29-Sep-11 10:42:00

I know I'm really keen to delay solids and do BLW read an article this morning on the sleep regression and it sounds like that. Going to try and put her back in our room tonight as im wondering if she was waking up before and the sound of us breathing was getting her back off to sleep.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 29-Sep-11 11:00:34

It could very possibly be that she normally stirs in the night, hears you breathing and just drifts back off to sleep and now she is wondering where you are.

If a baby wakes I've always found the easiest thing is to feed them and then everyone goes back to sleep quickly. I've got friends who've tried different things, like offering water and have all been awake for hours. Me I'd rather do a feed and be back in my own bed fast asleep anytime smile

mamalovebird Thu 29-Sep-11 11:16:22

MY DS went through this, kind of sepraration anxiety.

We had a period of having a bed ready on the floor in his room, if he woke, one of us would just take him into the ready made bed and sleep there with him on the floor for the rest of the night. He just the security.
It only last a few months.
There are few problems that a little drop of milk won't solve if you're really struggling. We found most of his sleeping issues just phases.

mamalovebird Thu 29-Sep-11 11:18:25

God I missed out so many words there - written in haste as I'm flicking between mumsnet and what I should be doing at work - hope you can understand it.

ScaryFairy28 Fri 30-Sep-11 05:47:24

Ok so she's back in with me but was up through the night just as much giving the dummy back will it pass or am I going to have to get used to getting up to replace the dummy or teach her to sleep without it?

lilham Fri 30-Sep-11 07:20:44

My DD slept through from 11wo but with the sleep regression at 4mo she does half the time now only. I just wait a bit and see if she's really not settling herself. I feed her if she doesnt self settle.

She couldn't really sit up till 5.5mo. That's when she started solids.

33goingon64 Fri 30-Sep-11 14:28:42

Agree with Jilted. We had same issue. - continued to feed on demand and it soon passed. Unless you think she isn't really hungry.

ScaryFairy28 Fri 30-Sep-11 15:07:55

Don't think she's hungry last night every time she woke up I gave her her dummy and she went back to sleep for a couple of hours, not sure if I need to get rid of the dummy.

pipoca Fri 30-Sep-11 15:36:29

I have this with twenty wk old DD.It started a wk ago when she got a cold. Maybe yours is coming down with something?

pipoca Fri 30-Sep-11 15:36:49

I have this with twenty wk old DD.It started a wk ago when she got a cold. Maybe yours is coming down with something?

ScaryFairy28 Fri 30-Sep-11 16:18:01

She's 20 weeks too and had the cold too but seemed to be nearly over that when this started. Friends keep saying it's 4 month sleep regression.

pipoca Fri 30-Sep-11 16:24:58

I don't actually think I believe in sleep regressions. I know that's heresy on MN.

pipoca Fri 30-Sep-11 16:28:58

I've tried feeding everytime DD wakes but she doesn't seem v hungry and it just makes her windy (even tho I burp her) and she wakes even more. Personally I think in our case, she has a cold and is quite mucousy, she swallows it in her sleep, gets tummy ache, rolls around with tummy pain, gets stuck on her front and can't get back. hen she's thoroughly awake the easiest way to get her back to sleep is feed her. But then it goes down on top of all the wind and mucous and the cycle starts over again. Also think her blocked nose wakes her too.
Have got mattress tilted for tonight plus eucalyptus oil on her growbag and doing a nasal rinse before bed.
She slept 10pm til 8am the night before the cold started (and it's a horrible one...I've had it too) so it's not like she can't do a good stretch of sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now