Talk

Advanced search

Is this mastitis?

(7 Posts)
LittleWaveyLines Tue 27-Sep-11 20:46:10

Started feeling really weak, achey and just generally rubbish about lunchtime. No temperature and no lumps that I could tell, allthough one nipple was slightly painful to feed off I put this down to a momentary bad latch...

This everning I'm feeling increasingly crap, and have a hard painful breast.

Is this mastitis, and if so why did I feel rubbish before I got a lump? I thought the lump came first?

Oh, and what do I do about it?! (Waiting for DD to wake up to feed....)

TheThingUpstairs Tue 27-Sep-11 21:10:05

It could be, try and feed/express as much as possible from the affected breast. Visit your GP or midwife ASAP, sometimes it takes antibiotics to clear it up.

sc2987 Tue 27-Sep-11 22:26:36

Also try combing the breast, hot shower, massage (while feeding if possible).

bangcrash Tue 27-Sep-11 23:09:19

could be a blocked duct, the lump can be far back so not very palpable, this gives a sharp needle type pain upon feeding and the backed up milk leaks proteins into your body so you produce the immune response that makes you feel achey, gives you a temp etc. Then as it remains not fully resolved it becomes more apparent in the breast. Usually mastitis even when you feel awful isn't infectious so hopefully if you feed, feed and express and massage and feed it will clear. Check for blocks in your nipple/areola sometimes like a spot or blocked pore and massage out any gunk hindering milk flow. Good luck.

If you still feel bad after 24hrs of self help or if you get much worse then it's gp time.

marzipananimal Wed 28-Sep-11 07:47:44

It sounds like it could be mastitis. I have had the crap fluey feeling come first before the breast pain. Have a look at this page from kellymom. It has good tips on dealing with it and whether/when you need antibiotics.
Get as much bed rest as you can and empty the breast thoroughly and frequently (feed and express if necessary). You can take paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Hope you're feeling better this morning x

LittleWaveyLines Wed 28-Sep-11 09:12:13

OK so fed mainly from that side during the night and now don't feel fluey, but it's still verrr painful! Will be sending DH to buy a breast pump in his lunch hour I think....

Thanks for the advice! bangcrash - that sounds like the scenario!

bangcrash Wed 28-Sep-11 09:35:02

Good that you feel better...the pain is horrid isn't it though...sounds like you have if under control.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now