Talk

Advanced search

best bottles for ebf baby

(27 Posts)
F1rstT1meMummy Tue 27-Sep-11 18:19:22

DD is 11 weeks old and is EBF. I want to go out for an evening before I lose the will to live and claim some identity back and want to try and express for DH to give her a bottle.

I saw on here a few weeks ago about a way to feed the baby without her getting as confused... do you know what this was?

Also, my main question is what are the best bottles to use. We tried tommee tippee with a tiny bit of formula and gaviscon last week and she just didnt know what to so (but not sure if it was formula and not my milk or the teat/bottle).

Can anyone recommend bottles which are best for one off bottles?

Also, if this works, I am hoping to express to let DH give her a bottle every now and then.

Thanks

lilham Tue 27-Sep-11 19:04:47

Many have luck with breastflow and NUK on this board. My DD was using tommee tippee before she decides she won't suck on a teat. How long can she go without a feed in the evening? My DD started sleeping through around 11wks. Which means once I put her down at 7pm she won't wake up for a long time. grin (I dreamfeed but she will only wake herself at 2-3am if I don't feed her.

So you may found you can go out in the evening without a bottle before long.

F1rstT1meMummy Wed 05-Oct-11 19:38:15

Yay...thanks. hubby bought a NUK and it worked a treat!

ukrainianmum Wed 05-Oct-11 21:59:04

well, dont get me wrong, but ebf means no bottles what so ever. and baby can refuse the breast after the first bottle feed.
in such case it is advisible to use a syringe without needle to feed the little one.
but dont forget- bf is not just the food, it os the whole world for 11 weeks old baby.
i have my second child, who will be 5months in a week. and there is no end of the world if i dont go out. in fact-i do visit restaurants, the little one has already been to Paris. life doesnt stop around if you have a baby.

SarahScot Wed 05-Oct-11 22:08:37

ukranianmum, how is that helpful? hmm

ukrainianmum Wed 05-Oct-11 22:16:50

it is helpful. there is a huge chance for the baby to refuse the breast after the first use of a bottle. so if mammy wants to relax, which is understandble, there are ways to feed the baby without the bottle and keep breastfeeding with success. of course it only concerns those mums, who plan and want to breastfeed for long period.

lilham Wed 05-Oct-11 22:18:16

At 11wk baby is more likely to refuse a bottle than the breast! That's not a helpful post at all. angry

ukrainianmum Wed 05-Oct-11 22:23:43

there is no need for the red face. unfortunatly it is visa versa. the baby WILL take the bottle, but is is very hard to put baby back on the breast.

well, advice was- to feed from a syringe. I my son stays without me one a week while i take language course with my mother -in -law. he is perfectly fine fine with the syringe and we already had the beggining of the refusal when she didnt want to give the milk from the syringe and gave it from the bottle. it took me few days to re-establish the proper BF the way it was before

TitaniaP Wed 05-Oct-11 23:03:58

I'm afraid I disagree ukrainianmum. I've given my baby the occasional bottle of expressed milk (I had to for a while due to low weight gain) and my baby went back on the breast. I know many mums who do this with no problems. Of Course there is always the risk of nipple confusion but from the information I've read this risk passes once breastfeeding is well established. It may be your experience with your baby that feeding methods other than directly from the breast causes problems, but that doesn't mean it will be the same for everyone.

From the short time I've been on this board there have been many many threads about people struggling to get breastfed babies to take a bottle so it doesn't follow that a baby will "always take a bottle" as you state.

I think care needs to be taken when offering advice to breastfeeding mothers to not present personal experience/ opinion as absolute fact that will apply to everyone.

ukrainianmum Wed 05-Oct-11 23:14:12

unfortunately it is not just my own experience. there has been refusal the breast even after the single use of medela calma bottle, which has been designed specially for the bf babies.

i do see now after reading little more threads that bf is taking little bit differnet in Europe, then in my country...

i appologise if i have upset anyone.

tiktok Wed 05-Oct-11 23:41:55

Oh dear.....no need to feed an 11 week old baby with a syringe....this might not even be safe (risk of aspiration).

Using an occasional bottle of expressed is highly unlikely to cause 'confusion', not at this 'advanced' age smile

Badgerwife Thu 06-Oct-11 10:43:16

I also support what TitaniaP and tiktok say. I have an 11 week old who is also EBF (I thought that meant exclusive breastmilk - as opposed to formula - not exclusive 'breast'). I had to express from one side for a couple of weeks at one point when she wouldn't latch properly (flat nipple) and I was in too much agony to feed, and she never struggled to go back to the breast. I think it very much depends on your baby. I also agree that by 11 weeks, you have established breastfeeding and your baby knows what she is doing. I would be amazed if one evening of bottle feeding was to damage that. I'm also trying to imagine feeding 200mls of breastmilk via a syringe, it sounds like terrible hardwork hmm

ukrainianmum Thu 06-Oct-11 10:48:51

by WHO abbreviations exclusive breastfeeding means breast and only it. nothing else.

i leave my son every monday with my mother in law for 3 and a half hours exactly. he doesnt take more than 40 ml of milk. and it is very possible from the syringe. i feed him before i leave and first thing after entering the house, no second, i wash my hands first, i feed the little one.
op wanted to go out for couple of hours so it would work imho.

Midori1999 Thu 06-Oct-11 13:30:21

ukranianmum, I wonder if you are misunderstanding the WHO guidelines, as they do state on their website that to establish and maintain EBF for 6 months they reccomend not using bottles, teats or pacifiers, but they also state that EBF is "the infant only receives breast milk without any additional food or drink, not even water", which would suggest giving expressed breastmilk via a bottle is still EBF if no other foods/drinks are offered.

I gave my daughter her first bottle of expressed milk in desperation at 6 days old. She then had a couple of bottles between that and around 7 weeks. She then decided to refuse all bottles for several weeks, although we did get her to take one again. She will now still not consistently take a bottle, only when she feels like it. She will always take the breast.

I too have seen far more posts on here about bottle refusing that nipple confusion. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen a thread where a baby had refused the breast after having a bottle. That's not to say it doesn't happen, or that it's not sensible to be cautious about it, but it appears quite rare and even health professionals advise it is 'safe' to introduce a bottle after 6 weeks or so.

ukrainianmum Thu 06-Oct-11 14:20:38

TERMS FOR INFANT FEEDING
*Exclusive breastfeeding*:
Exclusive breastfeeding means giving a baby no other food or drink, including no water, in addition to breastfeeding (except medicines and vitamin or mineral drops; expressed breastmilk is also permitted).
*Predominant breastfeeding*:
Predominant breastfeeding means breastfeeding a baby, but also giving small amounts of water or water-based drinks - such as tea.
*Full breastfeeding*:
Full breastfeeding means breastfeeding either exclusively or predominantly.
*Bottle feeding*:
Bottle feeding means feeding a baby from a bottle, whatever is in the bottle, including expressed breastmilk.
Artificial feeding:
Artificial feeding means feeding a baby on artificial feeds, and not breastfeeding at all.
Partial breastfeeding:
Partial breastfeeding means giving a baby some breastfeeds, and some artificial feeds, either milk or cereal, or other food.
Timely complementary feeding: Timely complementary feeding means giving a baby other food in addition to breastfeeding, when it is appropriate, after the age of 4-6 months.

this comes from the BREASTFEEDING COUNSELING a training course by WHO in conjunction with UNICEF. downloaded from the WHO website

lilham Thu 06-Oct-11 14:25:39

I started introducing a bottle at 4wk because I am going back to work at 7mo. Every bottle was a fight even from the not so advanced age of 4wk. Usually involved triggering her sucking reflex with our pinky and then trying to sneak a bottle in her mouth. She clued up around 4mo, and flat out refused all bottles, bashing them away with her hands. Like Midori's DD, mine will always take the breast.

I think babies are fairly stuck in their ways. The ones that ended up refusing the breast after breastfeeding is well established probably give more than the occasional bottle? I was doing 2-3 a week and the bottle refusal simply got worse and worse. Also, the OP is asking about a bottle for a night out...

ukrainianmum Thu 06-Oct-11 14:26:37

my DD 1 was bottlefed with breast milk until she was 8 month, then i stopped coz it is really hard job. she refused breast after she tried bottle in the hospital in London.

TitaniaP Thu 06-Oct-11 14:35:54

Surely this is all just semantics though. My 16wk old baby has had the odd bottle of EBM and also once had a bottle of formula (due to concerns over weight gain). I would still say he was Exclusively breastfed though. Surely the point is that one bottle of expressed breast is unlikely to damage an established breastfeeding relationship. Also the baby is still getting breastmilk. Surely that's the important thing - not what it's called?

Too many "surelys" in that post - sorry

lilham Thu 06-Oct-11 14:43:24

I'm beginning to wonder if ukranianmum is a troll. Especially now I saw her posting in this thread.

Midori1999 Thu 06-Oct-11 14:45:14

ukranianmum, you said

"well, dont get me wrong, but ebf means no bottles what so ever"

you weren't referring to what bottle feeding was. Your own quote from the WHO website above quotes the same as my post (taken also from the WHO site) that:

"Exclusive breastfeeding means giving a baby no other food or drink, including no water, in addition to breastfeeding (except medicines and vitamin or mineral drops; expressed breastmilk is also permitted)."

So giving expressed breastmilk in a bottle does not mean a baby is not EBF and EBF does not mean no bottles whatsoever.

tiktok Thu 06-Oct-11 18:20:49

Exclusive breastfeeding, or EBF, also applies to babies given breastmilk in bottles.

I don't think ukrainianmum is a troll. I think one difficulty is her first language is not English and she sometimes reads things and misunderstands. The second difficulty is that she thinks that because something happened to her, or someone told her something, it is a general truth which applies to all mothers and babies.

I am still very concerned about the idea of feeding a baby beyond newborn with a syringe. It's not necessary, and there is a possible risk of the baby aspirating the milk....which is dangerous.

ukrainianmum Thu 06-Oct-11 19:16:53

i doubt i misunderstqnd things in a wrong way, coz i've studied english at the university as a major subject. and second -i have lived in England for some years. and i am certainly not troll coz i have been posting here but long time ago when my first daughetr was a baby.which was more than 6 years ago

tiktok, i dont doubt your knowledge and expirience. the syringe method- first i heard about it in ukraine, but didnt see it workingand then i saw it here in france in a action lets say so, when i was pushed to give to my DS formula coz he lost weight in his first day. the midfive showed to me on another baby how it is working. this method is for mummies whoo dont want to introduce a bottle to their little one. no signs of aspiration what so ever.

ukrainianmum Thu 06-Oct-11 19:19:50

to clear things- i managed to stay away from the formula in hospital. but when i am away for the courses- little one is given milk from syringe and it is more convinient than from a spoon. and it is working.

just for the future- every positive expririence even if till now unknown is not bad.

tiktok Thu 06-Oct-11 19:32:49

Syringe feeding with a tiny newborn, under midwife instruction, is probably safe.

You were suggesting it as a possibility for an 11 week old - no midwife instruction, and on a baby who would be very different from a newborn.

I think this might be unsafe. It was fine for you - good. It might not be fine for someone else.

tiktok Thu 06-Oct-11 19:34:31

Do they really worry about babies losing weight on day 1 in France???

It is normal for babies to lose weight in the first days. No need for formula, or expressed milk, or bottles, or spoons, or syringes sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now