Talk

Advanced search

Sugared water for colic?

(10 Posts)
NationalTruss Tue 27-Sep-11 15:03:10

dd is 5 days old, fully breastfed. Terrible night last night, she was awake screaming between 10pm and 3am. Nothing would soothe her.

Mw suggested sugared water for colic. I thought one should only give bm to a bf baby.

Any thoughts?

tiktok Tue 27-Sep-11 16:44:47

you are right. midwife is giving unusual advice and perhaps needs some training. there is no evidence i know of that links sugarwater with help for colic. i would think of srveral reasons for inconsolable crying in a five day old before i came up with colic anyway.

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 27-Sep-11 16:50:20

A certain childcare "expert" does suggest it in some of her books. I'm not advocating it btw, but I wonder if it is quite old fashioned advice that some midwives still dish out?

I thought colic was usually seen in slightly older babies?

NationalTruss it is hard with a newborn baby, congratulations by the way. You must be exhausted.

NationalTruss Tue 27-Sep-11 17:19:34

Thanks both.

Tiktok, I'd be interested to hear your other possible causes of crying. We tried everything!

OPOCE, which 'expert'?

This is my number 5 so you'd think I'd know what I was doing...!

tiktok Tue 27-Sep-11 18:49:15

At five days old, your baby may well have been just a bit disorientated and getting used to the world. She may have needed a quiet, relaxed session, close to you and your breasts, and snuggled up. Even then, that might not have wound her down quickly - sometimes babies get into a crying jag and you just have to stay close and let it happen.

Other reasons might be she'd had a bit of a fright (loud noise?) and got stressed and did not know how to unstress; funny smell - or a smell that was funny to her - that disorientated her; maybe she bonked herself on her nose accidentally; bright light upset her...she is so new anything that's not the uterus has the power to feel different.

Staying calm and soothing is usually the best response - skin to skin, breast at the ready, minimal jiggling and bouncing....in fact none, I would say, with a baby as little and new as this. Go somewhere dark and peaceful and let her smell you and tastes you and hear your soft voice.

All of that's more likely than colic.

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 27-Sep-11 18:56:04

NationalTruss - Gina Ford. I must stress that I am not advocating her advice re sugar and water. I can't recall if she recommends it for colic or some other "problem" but certainly I think you are right in your own choice to give a 5 day old baby breast milk only.

NationalTruss Tue 27-Sep-11 22:08:52

Thx for your replies.

Tiktok -- did all that to no avail. Hoping it was just a one-off.

OPOCE -- right. That's as much as I need to know! Someone gave me a copy of Gina years ago and I had to bin it instead of charity shopping it lest anyone else should read the twaddle.

onepieceofcremeegg Thu 29-Sep-11 13:55:26

Hope you have had a little bit more sleep NT. The first few days/weeks are hard but hopefully there a some lovely bits too. smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 29-Sep-11 14:17:19

Hopefully it will be a one off, agree with tiktok that it could be lots of things rather than colic and advice from your MW does seem a little unusual.

If its not a one off it may be worth seeing if your library has got a copy of this book. That's if you can read it between the screaming, looking after 4 other DC and sleeping yourself.

NationalTruss Fri 30-Sep-11 18:58:49

Thx again. Think it was a one off. Good nights since then (tho' she still sometimes gets stressed and doesn't want to feed, just headbangs my nipple).

Think she didn't enjoy watching spooks on iplayer which was what preceded the bad night.

Am certainly finding time to enjoy it all -- it's better than ever 5th time round smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now